Skip to main content

differential equations - Improving NDSolve speed for heavily stiff problems


Having looked around the intergoogles and Mathematica.SE, I thought I'd pose a question with a minimum working example.



Here is the situation I am trying to improve:



  1. I am solving a 4th order non linear PDE with NDSolve.

  2. It is stiff and I use a stiff solver such as BDF or LSODA.

  3. On occassion, I have no choice but to increase the MaxStepFraction to uncomfortable levels.

  4. As a result, the code runs longer than usual (made worse by the fact that it is a stiff equation to begin with)


Is there any way I could improve NDSolve performance/speed?


Here is my minimum example:




$HistoryLength = 0;
Needs["VectorAnalysis`"]
Needs["DifferentialEquations`InterpolatingFunctionAnatomy`"];
Clear[Eq0, EvapThickFilm, h, Bo, \[Epsilon], K1, \[Delta], Bi, m, r]
Eq0[h_, {Bo_, \[Epsilon]_, K1_, \[Delta]_, Bi_, m_, r_}] := \!\(
\*SubscriptBox[\(\[PartialD]\), \(t\)]h\) +
Div[-h^3 Bo Grad[h] +
h^3 Grad[Laplacian[h]] + (\[Delta] h^3)/(Bi h + K1)^3 Grad[h] +
m (h/(K1 + Bi h))^2 Grad[h]] + \[Epsilon]/(
Bi h + K1) + (r) D[D[(h^2/(K1 + Bi h)), x] h^3, x] == 0;

SetCoordinates[Cartesian[x, y, z]];
EvapThickFilm[Bo_, \[Epsilon]_, K1_, \[Delta]_, Bi_, m_, r_] :=
Eq0[h[x, y, t], {Bo, \[Epsilon], K1, \[Delta], Bi, m, r}];
TraditionalForm[EvapThickFilm[Bo, \[Epsilon], K1, \[Delta], Bi, m, r]];
L = 2*92.389;

TMax = 3100*100;
Off[NDSolve::mxsst];
Clear[Kvar];
Kvar[t_] := Piecewise[{{1, t <= 1}, {2, t > 1}}]

(*Ktemp = Array[0.001+0.001#^2&,13]*)
hSol = h /. NDSolve[{
(*Bo,\[Epsilon],K1,\[Delta],Bi,m,r*)

EvapThickFilm[0.003, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0.025, 0],
h[0, y, t] == h[L, y, t],
h[x, 0, t] == h[x, L, t],
(*h[x,y,0] == 1.1+Cos[x] Sin[2y] *)

h[x, y, 0] ==

1 + (-0.25 Cos[2 \[Pi] x/L] - 0.25 Sin[2 \[Pi] x/L]) Cos[
2 \[Pi] y/L]
},
h,
{x, 0, L},
{y, 0, L},
{t, 0, TMax},
Method -> {"BDF", "MaxDifferenceOrder" -> 1},
MaxStepFraction -> 1/50
][[1]] // AbsoluteTiming


A BDF limited to Order 1 needs about 41 seconds to solve the equation until ****failure**** while the LSODA allowed up to order 12 does a fantastic job of cutting it down to 18 seconds.




Now when I increase the MaxStepFraction, I obviously increase the grid density. I am currently running a case that has several thousand grid points and has taken 24+ HOURS, yes hours and hasn't given me a solution yet. This was expected as I have run cases that took about 3-4 hours before with a coarser grid and do hog the ram (they take up about ~3-4GBs mostly because I am exporting data as .MAT files)


What suggestions could be provided to improve the speed for such a stiff equation?


I have also tried stopping tests and it doesn't quite help all the time as I'd rather mathematica quit my program naturally as a result of overbearing stiffness than artificially through a stopping test. (The former has physical significance)


Yes, this question bears resemblance to this but I don't think its the same.


I have given Parallelize a thought but it doesn't work on NDSolve. Any options that I have either on the Mathematica front, computing front, or saving the interpolation function data?



Edit:



Using the LaunchKernel[n] option just before the NDSolve cell didn't do much. My AbsoluteTiming barely even changed.


CloseKernels[];
LaunchKernels[3];
L = 2*92.389; TMax = 3100*100;
.........
......

Edit 2:


By using Table and launching up to 6 kernels, these are the results that I got:




{{1,{19.454883,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}, {2,{19.162008,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}, {3,{18.919101,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}, {4,{20.166785,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}, {5,{20.265163,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}, {6,{20.556365,InterpolatingFunction[{{0.,184.778},{0.,184.778},{0.,282761.}},<>]}}}



So with more kernels, the performance actually degraded....? Wha...?



Answer



Yes, it is stiff -- but the main issue that I see is that the solution goes wild near the TMax that you specify. That's because you need a super-fine spatial grid to accurately represent what happens when the higher order terms finally manifest themselves. It's going to take a lot of time and a lot of memory (MinPoints option), and there's no way around it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...