Skip to main content

performance tuning - Faster way to compute the distance from a point to a surface in 3D


I am trying to compute the shortest distance between a point and a triangle in 3D


distance[point_, {p1_, p2_, p3_}] := Module[{p, s, t, sol},
p = s*p1 + (1 - s)*(t*p2 + (1 - t)*p3);
MinValue[{(point - p).(point - p),
0 <= s <= 1, 0 <= t <= 1}, {s, t}]];

but it seems to be quite slow, is there any way to make it faster?




Answer



Well, you can use the undocumented RegionDistance which does exactly this as follows: (This answer, as written, only works for V9 as noted by Oska, for V10 see update below)


here is a triangle in 3D


region = Polygon[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 1}}];

Graphics3D[region]

Mathematica graphics


Now suppose you want to find the shortest distance from the point {1, 1, 1} in 3D to this triangle just do the following:


Load the Region context



Graphics`Region`RegionInit[];

Then


RegionDistance[region, {1, 1, 1}]

Mathematica graphics


As a bonus, you can get the exact point on the triangle that is closest to the given point as follows:


RegionNearest[region, {1, 1, 1}]

Mathematica graphics



Visualize it


Graphics3D[{region, Darker@Green, PointSize[0.03], Point[{1, 1, 1}], 
Red, PointSize[0.03], Point[{1/3, 2/3, 2/3}]}]

Mathematica graphics


Update for Version 10


The above undocumented functions used in this answer now works out of the box in V10 so no need to load the Region context as I did above. Otherwise everything works as is. Also, now you can use the new Triangle function in place of Polygon above.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...