Skip to main content

list manipulation - How to understand the usage of Inner and Outer figuratively?


Description:


In Mathematica the functions like Thread, Inner, Outer etc. are very important and are used frequently.


For the function Thread:


Thread Usage1:


Thread[f[{a, b, c}]]



{f[a], f[b], f[c]}

Thread Usage2:


Thread[f[{a, b, c}, x]]


{f[a, x], f[b, x], f[c, x]}

Thread Usage3:



Thread[f[{a, b, c}, {x, y, z}]]


{f[a, x], f[b, y], f[c, z]}

And I understand the Usage1, Usage2, Usage3 easily as well as I use them masterly.


However I always cannot master the usage of Inner and Outer so that I must refer to the Mathematica Documentation every time when I feel I need using them.


I find that I cannot master them owing to that I cannot understand the results of Inner and Outer clearly. Namely, I always forget what construct they generate when executed.


The typical usage cases of Inner and Outer shown as below:





Inner Usage:


Inner[f, {a, b}, {x, y}, g]


g[f[a, x], f[b, y]]

Inner[f, {{a, b}, {c, d}}, {x, y}, g]


{g[f[a, x], f[b, y]], g[f[c, x], f[d, y]]}


Inner[f, {{a, b}, {c, d}}, {{x, y}, {u, v}}, g]


{{g[f[a, x], f[b, u]], g[f[a, y], f[b, v]]}, 
{g[f[c, x], f[d, u]], g[f[c, y], f[d, v]]}}

Outer Usage:


Outer[f, {a, b}, {x, y, z}]



{{f[a, x], f[a, y], f[a, z]}, {f[b, x], f[b, y], f[b, z]}}

Outer[f, {{1, 2}, {3, 4}}, {{a, b}, {c, d}}]


{{{{f[1, a], f[1, b]}, {f[1, c], f[1, d]}}, 
{{f[2, a], f[2, b]}, {f[2, c], f[2, d]}}},
{{{f[3, a], f[3, b]}, {f[3, c], f[3, d]}},
{{f[4, a], f[4, b]}, {f[4, c], f[4, d]}}}}


Questions:




  1. How to master the usage Inner and Outer? Namely, how can I use them without referring to the Mathematica Documentation?




  2. How to understand the result of Out[3],Out[4],Out[5] figuratively? Namely, by using graphics or other way.






Answer



I think of Outer just like nikie showed.


Inner is a generalization of matrix multiplication. I like the picture from the Wikipedia page.


Matrix Multiplication


To calculate an entry of matrix multiplication, you first pair list entries (a11,b12) and (a12,b22). You "times/multiply" those pairs (a11*b12) and (a12*b22), and then you "plus/add" all the results (a11*b12)+(a12*b22). Note that you "times" before you "plus" in matrix multiplication which helps me remember the order of arguments for Inner.


listL={{a11,a12},{a21,a22},{a31,a32},{a41,a42}};
listR={{b11,b12,b13},{b21,b22,b23}};
Inner[times,listL,listR,plus]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...