Skip to main content

Finding eigenvalues of a differential operator



I am trying to get the eigenvalues of the following differential operator


$$L\psi(r) = -f \partial_r (f \partial_r \psi(r)) + V \psi(r)$$


which must satisfy (obviously)


$$L \psi(r) = \omega^2 \psi(r)$$


where I want to acquire both the real and imaginary part of $\omega$. To my problem, we have


$$ f = 1 - \frac{2M}{r}$$ and $$ V = f \left( \frac{l (l-1)}{r^2} + \frac{2 (1-S^2) M}{r^3} \right) $$ with $ M = 1, l = 2, S=2$. The boundary conditions are $\psi(2M) = 0, \psi(\inf) = 0$. (To whomever may care, I am getting the real and imaginary oscillations of a Schwarzschild black hole. It is well studied in the literature, but I need to recover the result).


I tried three different ways to do it:


1) Using NDEigensystem:


f = 1 - 2*(M/r); 
V = f*(l*((l - 1)/r^2) + (2*(1 - S^2)*M)/r^3);

M = 1; l = 2; S = 2;
\[ScriptCapitalL] = f*D[f*D[\[Chi][r], r], r] + V*\[Chi][r];
\[ScriptCapitalB] = DirichletCo - ndition[\[Chi][r] == 0, True];
boundarydistance = 10;
{ev, ef} =
NDEigensystem[{\[ScriptCapitalL], \[ScriptCapitalB]}, \[Chi][
r], {r, 2*M, boundarydistance}, 3];
Print["The eigenvalues are = ", ev]
Print["The real part is = ", Re[Sqrt[ev]]]
Print["The imaginary part is = ", Im[Sqrt[ev]]]

Plot[Evaluate[ef], {r, 0, boundarydistance}]

THE PROBLEM:It works perfectly, for a condition which is not at infinity. When I try to set boundarydistance = :inf:, it gives me error.


2) NDSolve with "Shooting Method":


f = 1 - 2*(M/r); 
V = f*(l*((l - 1)/r^2) + (2*(1 - S^2)*M)/r^3);
M = 1; l = 2; S = 2;
\[ScriptCapitalL] = (-f)*D[f*D[\[Chi][r], r], r] + V*\[Chi][r];
NDSolve[{\[ScriptCapitalL] == \[Lambda]*\[Chi][r], \[Chi][2*M] == 0, \[Chi][Infinity] == 0}, \[Chi][r], {r, 0, 10},
Method -> {"Shooting"}]

Plot[%, {r, 0, 10}]

THE PROBLEM: It gives the following error: NDSolve::ndsv: Cannot find starting value for the variable [Chi]^[Prime]. Besides this, how to I recover the eigenvalue? It seems like, to use NDSolve, I need to put a value for it.


3) Using the magical package in one of the answers in here:


Needs["PacletManager`"]
PacletInstall["CompoundMatrixMethod",
"Site" -> "http://raw.githubusercontent.com/paclets/Repository/master"];
Needs["CompoundMatrixMethod`"]
f = 1 - 2*(M/r);
V = f*(l*((l - 1)/r^2) + (2*(1 - S^2)*M)/r^3);

M = 1; l = 2; S = 2;
sys = ToMatrixSystem[f*D[f*D[\[Chi][r], r], r] - V*\[Chi][r] == \[Omega]*\[Chi][r],
{\[Chi][3*M] == 0, \[Chi][Infinity] == 0}, \[Chi], {r, 3, 10}, \[Omega]];
Plot[Evans[\[Omega], sys], {\[Omega], 0, 15}]

THE PROBLEM: Well, it actually runs. But I need to start from somewhere far from zero (due to the singularity) and I cannot really understand the answer which is:


{{{0, 1}, {(12 - 10 r + 2 r^2 + \[FormalLambda] r^4)/((-2 + r)^2 r^2), (4 r - 2 r^2)/((-2 + r)^2 r^2)}}, {}, {}, {r, 2.5, 10}}

and a plot, which does not resembles me anything that I would like to get.


EDIT:



Since I am not converging to an answer, it may help to add some more details. The real equation that I am trying to solve is $$\frac{d^2 \psi(r)}{dr_*^2} + (\omega^2 - V(r)) \psi(r) =0$$ where the (tortoise) coordinate is defined via $$\frac{dr}{dr_*} = f(r)$$ with the definitions of both $V(r)$ and $f(r)$ are given above. If you use these two equations together, you will get in the first equation of this page.


I thought that working with a single differential equation, although a bit more complicate, might be easier. However, I have no idea, even so, how I would work with the two differential equations separately, since the problem with this tortoise coordinate is that it cannot give me a function $r(r_*)$, because it is a transcendental equation.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...