Skip to main content

performance tuning - Combinatorics: Placed errors


Consider a vector of length n where each element can take one of the values U, X, Y or Z. Then define w as the the number of X, Y and Z's in the vector. How can I efficiently write a Mathematica function ErrorOps[n,w] that returns all possible strings for a particular choice of w and n?


My key concern is efficiency, since I have made three attempts that are working, but doing so too slowly.


Input:



n=3, w=2 

Output:


ErrorOps[3, 2] = {{U, X, X}, {X, U, X}, {X, X, U}, {U, X, Y}, {X, U, Y}, {X, Y, U},
{U, X, Z}, {X, U, Z}, {X, Z, U}, {U, Y, X}, {Y, U, X}, {Y, X, U}, {U, Y, Y},
{Y, U, Y}, {Y, Y, U}, {U, Y, Z}, {Y, U, Z}, {Y, Z, U}, {U, Z, X}, {Z, U, X},
{Z, X, U}, {U, Z, Y}, {Z, U, Y}, {Z, Y, U}, {U, Z, Z}, {Z, U, Z}, {Z, Z, U}}

The number of such vectors is thus Binomial[n, w] 3^w.


A typical function call will have n = 10 in my case, and w < 11.




Answer



I propose:


errorOps[n_, w_] :=
Module[{masks, tup},
masks = Permutations[Join @@ ConstantArray @@@ {{1, w}, {0, n - w}}];
tup = ArrayPad[{"X", "Y", "Z"} ~Tuples~ {w}, {0, {1, 0}}, "U"];
Join @@ Map[tup[[All, #]] &, 1 + masks (Accumulate /@ masks)]
]

errorOps[10, 7] // Length // AbsoluteTiming



{0.0406705, 262440}

An alternate formulation that is faster in some cases but slower in others:


errorOps2[n_, w_] :=
Module[{mask, tup},
mask = Join @@ ConstantArray @@@ {{0, n - w}, {1, w}};
tup = GatherBy[{"X", "Y", "Z"} ~Tuples~ {w}, Sort][[All, 1]];
tup = ArrayPad[tup, {0, {1, 0}}, "U"];

Join @@ Permutations /@ tup[[ All, 1 + Accumulate @ mask ]]
]

errorOps2[10, 7] // Length // AbsoluteTiming


{0.0335602, 262440}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...