Skip to main content

front end - How do I extract the contents of a selected cell as plain text?


My aim is to extract the contents of an Input cells as plain text. Ideally I would like to be able to select one or more Input cells and press a button which would then extract the text from these cells as a string and assign it to a variable. However, this turns out to be harder than it seems (to me at least).


One way which was suggested in a chat conversation was to copy the cell as plain text by doing something like this


Button["Set x to selection",
FrontEndTokenExecute[SelectedNotebook[], "CopySpecial", "PlainText"];
x = (NotebookGet@ClipboardNotebook[])[[1, 1, 1]]

]

This seems to work; for example, if I type this into an input cell, select the cell, and press the button


a + b == c;
d = "x";

then x is set to the string "a+b==c;\nd=\"x\";" which is what I want. The only downside of this method as far as I can tell is that it destroys the clipboard.


To preserve the clipboard I tried using NotebookRead instead to copy the contents but I only got that to work if I changed the display form of the selected cell to "TextForm" first, e.g.


Button["Set x to selection 2",
Module[{tmpnb, nb},

nb = SelectedNotebook[];
tmpnb = CreateDocument[WindowSelected -> False];
NotebookWrite[tmpnb, NotebookRead[nb], All];
FrontEndTokenExecute[tmpnb, "SelectionDisplayAs", "TextForm"];
SelectionMove[tmpnb, All, CellContents];
x = ToString[NotebookRead[tmpnb]];
NotebookClose[tmpnb]]]

Of course the downside of this approach is that it creates a temporary notebook every time I press the button.


Question



Both methods seem to do their job, but they both rely on the FrontEnd manipulating the contents of the selected cell before being able to extract the string. This made me wonder if there is an easier way to get the same result.




Keywords:


String, Text, Cell, Export, ExportString, ToString, InputForm



Answer



Assuming nb is your notebook object, then this will do what you want without touching the clipboard:


First[FrontEndExecute[
FrontEnd`ExportPacket[NotebookSelection[nb], "InputText"]]]

Some notes about this solution:




  • It preserves evaluation semantics precisely, regardless of typesetting.

  • It does not dirty the clipboard

  • If you prefer to get the appearance as opposed to the evaluation semantics, you can use "PlainText" (for example, grids copy as tabular looking things as opposed to as lists)

  • I tested this in 8.0.1, but it might not work in earlier versions


This FE packet only supports a limited number of formats. The public formats include "GIF", "PPM", "EnhancedMetafile" (Windows), "PICT" (Mac) , "PostScript", "RTF", "PDF", and "SVG".


I should say that the first argument of ExportPacket can also be any Notebook, Cell, or Box expression. Also, a NotebookObject, in which case it'd convert the entire notebook rather than just the selection.


When the selection does not contain a full cell it is enough to work around by using the results of NotebookRead. E.g.:


First[FrontEndExecute[ FrontEnd`ExportPacket[BoxData @ NotebookRead[nb], "PPM"]]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...