Skip to main content

list manipulation - Delete redundant {x,y} pairs


Working through the problems from Hazrat's Mathematica book and there's a simple exercise to find all the square numbers where $n^2+m^2=h^2$ yields $h$ as an integer (I think they're also called Pythagorean triples?) for $n$ and $m$ 1-100.



Anyway, I'm still learning so I did a brute force attack on every {n,m} pair:


squareNumberQ[{n_Integer,m_Integer}]:= IntegerQ[Sqrt[n^2+m^2]] ;
allPossiblePairs = Flatten[Table[{n,m},{n,1,10},{m,1,10}],1] ;
squareNumbers = Select[allPossiblePairs, squareNumberQ]
(* {{3,4},{4,3},{6,8},{8,6}} *)

I understand I could wrap all that into one line but I'm at the stage where I'm still wrestling with #& syntax so doing it piece by piece helps me debug the individual steps.


My question is how do I delete one of the pairs as {3,4} is the same as {4,3} for this exercise. I can do it by changing the Table command and re-running:


Flatten[Table[{n,m},{n,1,10},{m,n,10}],1]


and there are already a few comments on alternate ways to eliminate duplicates from the candidate {x,y} pairs but I'm wondering how you would delete them if this wasn't an option.


There should be a way to DeleteCases based on a pattern {x_,y_} == {y_,x_} in the results? but my attempt is failing miserably ie:


DeleteCases[squareNumbers,#1[[_,1]]==#2[[_,2]]&]

I've hunted for variations of 'delete duplicate pairs' but most DeleteCases examples I've found are simple T/F statements on a single element of the list.


Trivial example but I'm still wrapping my head around this pattern matching business.



Answer



DeleteDuplicatesBy[Sort][squareNumbers]
DeleteDuplicatesBy[ReverseSort][squareNumbers] (* thanks: @Sascha *)
DeleteDuplicatesBy[squareNumbers, Sort]

DeleteCases[squareNumbers, {x_, y_} /; x > y]
DeleteCases[squareNumbers, _?(Not[OrderedQ@#] &)]
Select[squareNumbers, OrderedQ]
Select[allPossiblePairs, OrderedQ @ # && squareNumberQ @ # &]
Cases[allPossiblePairs, _?(OrderedQ@# && squareNumberQ@# &)]
Cases[allPossiblePairs, x : {_, _} /; OrderedQ@x && squareNumberQ@x]

all give



{{3, 4}, {6, 8}}




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...