Skip to main content

symbolic - Improving the performance of a package for working with rational functions



As Mathematica gets slow for large symbolic calculations, the cost of putting terms over a common denominator (Together), in particular, gets too high. It occurred to me that, if one has a small number of variables, it should be much faster if we represent our expressions by arrays of their coefficients.


I have implemented a small package that does this with an improvement of a factor of 10 in both speed and memory (in putting Together a sum of rational terms, more or less independent of the size of the sum), but it seems to me that I should be able to do better. I post my package here with the hope that someone might point out glaring performance bottlenecks.


First, the public initializations, with their usability comments.


AA::usage = "DATA STRUCTURE AA[num,den] that stores polynomials as their tensor coefficients of a basis, multiplication is the tensor product"
PolytoAA::usage = "PolytoAA[poly_,vars_List] returns an AA[num_SparseArray,1]"
AAtoPoly::usage = "AAtoPoly[aa_AA,vars_] gives back a rational function of the polynomials num/den"

The actual code begins here, PolProd takes care of multiplying polynomials


SetAttributes[PolProd, Orderless]
PolProd[i__Integer] := Times @ i;

PolProd[sa__SparseArray] := Outer[Times, sa];
(*multiplying 2 polynomials is the tensor product in their vector space*)
PolProd[i__Integer, sa__SparseArray] := Times[i] Outer[Times, sa];

(*It would be cleaner and more object oriented to call two instances of polprod
on i and sa but it would force more pattern matching so it would be less efficient*)

This code performs the arithmetic operations on the AA[num,den] data structure


AA /: i_Integer*AA[num_, den_] := AA[i*num, den]
(*absorb all integer into AA, this means that the sum rule has to do less

pattern matching and is more efficient, overall more efficient?*)
AA /: AA[a_, a_] := 1
AA /: AA[0, _] := 0
AA /: AA[num1_, den1_]*AA[num2_, den2_] :=
AA @@ (PolProd[#1, #2]& @@@ {{num1, num2}, {den1, den2}})
AA /: AA[num1_, den_] + AA[num2_, den_] :=
AA[num1 + num2, den]
(*can't check for a SparseArray cos it might be an Integer,
by dimensional analysis we should get two arrays here though*)
AA /: AA[num1_, den1_] + AA[num2_, den2_] :=

AA[PolProd[num1, den2] + PolProd[num2, den1], PolProd[den1, den2]]
(*together rule, this a recursive implementation that doesn't treat the
sum of many AA all at once, this is intentional cause it minimises the
number of array outer products that are calculated and I believe it's
the more efficient but maybe not*)
AA /: aa_AA^n_Integer :=
If[n < 0, Reverse @ #, #]& @ (PolProd[Sequence @@ ConstantArray[#, Abs @ n]]& /@ aa)
(*this takes care of both efficiency of recursively pattern matching the
product rule on large n and dividing by AA*)
(*NOTICE THE WEIRD SYNTAX/BUG If[n<0, Reverse @ #, #]& @ THERE ARE TWO INTANCES OF @*)


I also post the the functions that go between AA and the polynomials for the sake of clarity and completeness


AAtoPoly[aa_AA,vars_] := #1/#2& @@ (aa /. l_SparseArray :> 
Dot[l, Sequence @@ ConstantArray[vars, Depth[l] - 1 (*gives rank of the tensor*)]])
PolytoAA[expr_^n_, vars_List] := PolytoAA[expr, vars]^n
PolytoAA[expr : (_Times | _Plus), vars_List] := PolytoAA[#, vars]& /@ expr
PolytoAA[expr_,vars_List] /; PolynomialQ[expr, vars] :=
AA[Last[CoefficientArrays[expr, vars]](*num*), 1 (*den*)]

BENCHMARKS



I define some random, small polynomials


vars = a /@ Range[10]
pols = Table[
a[RandomInteger[{1, 10}]] + a[RandomInteger[{1, 10}]], {20}] //
DeleteDuplicates
% // Length


{a[1], a[2], a[3], a[4], a[5], a[6], a[7], a[8], a[9], a[10]}


{a[1] + a[7], a[4] + a[6], a[2] + a[4], a[5] + a[9], 2 a[8], a[5] + a[6], a[2] + a[9], a[4] + a[7], a[4] + a[9], a[7] + a[9], a[3] + a[7], a[2] + a[6], a[1] + a[9], a[2] + a[3], a[7] + a[10], 2 a[2], a[3] + a[9]}



17



First I put them Together using my code


aa = PolytoAA[#, vars] & /@ pols;
togaa = Sum[aa[[i]]/aa[[i + 1]], {i, Length@pols - 1}] //
AbsoluteTiming
% // ByteCount


{0.8960513,AA[SparseArray[<274432>,{10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10}],SparseArray[<16384>,{10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10}]]}



18614128



and now without my implementation


togpols = (Sum[pols[[i]]/pols[[i + 1]], {i, Length@pols - 1}] // 
Together) // AbsoluteTiming//
% // ByteCount


{8.2054693,...}


34567480




I check that both give the same result


togpols2 = AAtoPoly[togaa // Last, vars](*//Simplify*);
Last[togpols] - togpols2 // Together


0





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...