Skip to main content

Retrieving the evaluation result of an Initialization Cell in a notebook `nb1` from another notebook `nb2`



I have a very long code in a notebook nb1 in which all the initialization cells are tagged. I have another notebook nb2 where I want to evaluate the initialization cells in nb1 and get the results in nb2 by using CellTags.


I tried the following code, which does something but I cannot see the results in nb2.


myButton[tag_] := 
Button["Evaluate " <> tag,
NotebookEvaluate[
"C:\\Users\\ttemel\\Desktop\\World_Bank_projects\\WB_Contract_2\\\
Extension_to_1st_contract_27oct19\\IOdatabase_oecd\\database_IOtables_\
SA_NO_UK_2000_2015_run_1.m", EvaluationElements -> {"Tags" -> {tag}}],
Method -> "Queued"];
Grid[{Map[myButton, {"SectorIOMarketChains", "DensityPlot"}]}]

CellPrint[
ExpressionCell[Defer[Print["SectorIOMarketChains"]], "Input",
CellTags -> {"SectorIOMarketChains"}, ShowCellTags -> True]]
CellPrint[
ExpressionCell[Defer[Print["DensityPlot"]], "Input",
CellTags -> {"DensityPlot"}, ShowCellTags -> True]]

Why does not this code give me the results in nb2?



Answer



Your file "database_IOtables _SA _NO _UK _ 2000_ 2015_run _ 1.m" isn't a Notebook, but a Package - right? Hence the EvaluationElements option is simply ignored, because Packages has no Cells and associated CellTags.



Obviously, you are trying to adapt the code from the section Examples ► Applications on the Documentation page for NotebookEvaluate.


Here is how it is supposed to work:




  1. Create a Notebook with your cells:


    nb = CreateDocument[{
    ExpressionCell[Defer[Print["SectorIOMarketChains"]], "Input",
    CellTags -> {"SectorIOMarketChains"}, ShowCellTags -> True],
    ExpressionCell[Defer[Print["DensityPlot"]], "Input", CellTags -> {"DensityPlot"},
    ShowCellTags -> True]

    }];


  2. In current Notebook create Buttons for evaluating tagged cells from that Notebook:


    myButton[nb_, tag_] := 
    Button["Evaluate " <> tag,
    NotebookEvaluate[nb, EvaluationElements -> {"Tags" -> {tag}}], Method -> "Queued"];
    Grid[{Map[myButton[nb, #] &, {"SectorIOMarketChains", "DensityPlot"}]}]



    screenshot





  3. Sequentially press the buttons, the results will appear in current Notebook:



    screenshot






When working with an existing Notebook, on the first step you should use NotebookOpen (possibly with the option Visible -> False if you don't want it to be displayed):


nb = NotebookOpen[filePath, Visible -> False];

Do not forget to close the invisible Notebook when it is no longer needed:


NotebookClose[nb]

You can get the list of currently opened Notebooks (including invisible) via Notebooks:


Notebooks[]




Note that NotebookEvaluate is a relatively old function, introduced when CellObject wasn't available. Similar (but not exactly the same) effect can be achieved with Cells and ToExpression:


ToExpression[NotebookRead[Cells[nb, CellTags -> {"SectorIOMarketChains"}]][[1, 1]]]


SectorIOMarketChains



You can see what ToExpression returns using its three-argument form:


ToExpression[
NotebookRead[Cells[nb, CellTags -> {"SectorIOMarketChains"}]][[1, 1]], StandardForm, Hold]



Hold[Print["SectorIOMarketChains"]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...