Skip to main content

computational geometry - Finding non-collinear vertices of a convex hull


I'm fairly new to Mathematica (and programming in general tbh) and need this for a math project I'm working on.


I generate large collections of (rational, 2d) points and need to find which of these points are the vertices of the convex hull.


Some googling suggested that MeshCoordinates would do this, but it does not exclude points on the edges of the convex hull that are collinear with the vertices. It also gives rounded decimals but that is less of an issue.


Is there a simple way to do this?


Edit to include a simplified example, the vertices of the unit square with a redundant point ({1, .5}):


pts = {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, .5}}


Both MeshCoordinates[ConvexHullMesh[pts]] and ConvexHullMesh[pts]["VertexCoordinates"] return the point {1, .5}, which is clearly not a vertex of the unit square.


The points I'm generating are not random, they are the result of a fairly involved set of calculations and many of them can be collinear.



Answer



Update: a brute force approach to eliminate coordinates that lie in the convex hull of other coordinates:


ClearAll[noncollinearF]
noncollinearF[verts_]:= Function[{k}, Nor @@ (RegionMember[ConvexHullMesh[#],k]&/@
Subsets[Complement[verts,{k}],{2}])]

Pick[#, noncollinearF[#] /@ #]&[Rationalize @ ConvexHullMesh[pts]["VertexCoordinates"]]



{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}, {1, 1}}



Pick[#, noncollinearF[#] /@ #]&[Rationalize@ConvexHullMesh[pts2]["VertexCoordinates"]]


{{0, 0}, {1, 1}, {1, 0}, {2, 1}}



Or define a function that picks the non-collinear vertices of the convex hull of a set of 2D points:



ncvF = With[{v = #}, Pick[v, Function[{k}, Nor @@ (RegionMember[ConvexHullMesh[#],k]&/@ 
Subsets[Complement[v,{k}],{2}])]/@v]]&;

ncvF[pts]


{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}, {1, 1}}



 ncvF[pts2]



{{0, 0}, {1, 1}, {1, 0}, {2, 1}}



Previous post:


The function Geometry`ConvexHull2 gives the desired coordinates for the simple example:


pts = {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}, {1, 1}, {1,1/2}};

chm = ConvexHullMesh[pts];
vertices = Rationalize[chm["VertexCoordinates"]] (* or MeshCoordinates[chm] *)



{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {0, 1}, {1, 1}, {1, 1/2}}



strictvertices = Rationalize[Geometry`ConvexHull2[ pts]]


{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1, 1}, {0, 1}}



Show[chm, Graphics@Point[pts], Graphics[{Red, PointSize[Large], Point @ vertices}]]


Mathematica graphics


Show[chm, Graphics@Point[pts], Graphics[{Red, PointSize[Large], Point @ strictvertices}]]

Mathematica graphics


... but, it fails to eliminate some coordinates in an other example:


pts2 = {{0, 0}, {1/2, 0}, {1/2, 1/2}, {1, 1}, {3/2, 1}, {1, 0}, {2, 1}, {3/2, 1/2}}

Show[ConvexHullMesh[pts2], Graphics @ Point[pts2],
Graphics[{Red, PointSize[Large], Point @ Geometry`ConvexHull2[ pts2]}]]


Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...