Skip to main content

function construction - Pattern that matches colors


Suppose I'm writing a function that takes a color as a parameter; for example:



drawShape[color_] := Graphics[{Style[Disk[], color]}];

But if the caller inputs an invalid color, bad things happen:


Bad


So I want to use a pattern to define drawShape only for values that are actually colors. Conceptually,


drawShape[color_Color] := ...

The problem is that unlike (say) Lists, Integers, Reals, Complexes, or Graphicses, color objects do not share a Color head. That is,


In[1]:= Red // Head
Out[1]= RGBColor

In[2]:= Hue[0.5] // Head
Out[2]= Hue
In[3]:= GrayLevel[0.5] // Head
Out[3]= GrayLevel
In[4]:= CMYKColor[0, 1, 1, 1/2] // Head
Out[4]= CMYKColor
In[4]:= Opacity[0.5, Purple] // Head
Out[4]= Opacity
In[5]:= Transparent // Head
Out[5]= GrayLevel


So that won't work. I also don't see any ColorQ function, with which I could write drawShape[color_ ? ColorQ] := ....


How can I write a pattern that matches any valid color object? Is there a more robust way than just testing for each of these heads?



Answer



Original method


colorQ = Quiet @ Check[Blend @ {#, Red}; True, False] &;

colorQ /@ {Red, Hue[0.5], GrayLevel[0.5], CMYKColor[0, 1, 1, 1/2], Opacity[0.5, Purple]}



{True, True, True, True, True}

colorQ /@ {17, 1.3, Pi, "not a color", {1, 2, 3}, Hue["bad arg"]}


{False, False, False, False, False, False}

You would use: drawShape[color_?colorQ] := . . .




Inspired by kguler's comment this might also be formulated as:



colorQ = Quiet[Head @ Darker @ # =!= Darker] &;

Or:


colorQ = FreeQ[Quiet @ Darker @ #, Darker] &;

Edit: Darker works on entire Image and Graphics objects and therefore the two forms immediately above will incorrectly return True in these cases. Blend solution is still valid.




Version 10 update and analysis


In version 10 there is a built-in function for this: ColorQ




ColorQ[color] yields True if color is a valid color directive and False otherwise.



A bit of spelunking reveals that the inner definition of this function is (contexts stripped for clarity):


iColorQ[args_?(ColorDirectiveQ[Head[#1[[1]]]] &), opts_] := 
NumberQ[Quiet[ToColor[args[[1]], XYZColor][[1]]]]

This is very similar to my own method, however the inner definition of ColorDirectiveQ omits Opacity:


iColorDirectiveQ[args_, opts_] := 
TrueQ[Quiet[
MatchQ[args[[1]],

GrayLevel | RGBColor | CMYKColor | Hue | XYZColor | LUVColor | LABColor | LCHColor]]]

This means that the function will return False for e.g. Opacity[0.5, Purple] where mine returns True.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...