Skip to main content

geography - plotting a {{Latitude,Longitude}} list on top of a GIS shapefile


I have a dataset composed of points specified in {Latitude,Longitude} format. Call it latlong for the purposes of this question. It displays properly with


Graphics[{Point /@ 
Map[GeoGridPosition[GeoPosition[#],
"Mercator"][[1]] &, {latlong}, {2}]}]

I also have a shape file that contains the boundaries of the counties in which the latlong points reside. If I query Import[demo.shp", "CoordinateSystemInformation"], I get



"GEOGCS" -> {"GCS_North_American_1983", 
"DATUM" -> {"North_American_Datum_1983",
"SPHEROID" -> {"GRS_1980", 6.37814*10^6, 298.257}},
"PRIMEM" -> {"Greenwich", 0.}, "UNIT" -> {"Degree", 0.0174533}}

and if I just Import the shape file, it displays correctly on screen.


I would like to display the points from latlong within the county borders from demo.shp. I have not been able to figure out how.


I appreciate that this is as much a GIS question as it is a Mathematica question, but I hope somebody here can help.



Answer



The most likely cause of your problem is that you are swapping lat and long coordinates.



Your latlong definition in the .NB file provided goes like this:


latlong = {{40.660323`, -73.997952`}, {40.660489`, -73.99822`}, {40.654365`, -74.004113`},...

That's New York. Simply plotting without projection gives:


m1=Graphics@Point@latlong

Mathematica graphics


I seem to see Long Island and some other familiar features. Looks like a subway map.


Here is a publicly available SHP map of the subway lines:


Import["https://wfs.gc.cuny.edu/SRomalewski/MTA_GISdata/June2010_update/nyctsubwayroutes_100627.zip", "SHP"]


Mathematica graphics


Extracting some coordinates from that:


Cases[map, {_Real, _}, Infinity]


{{-74.015047, 40.703577}, {-74.015028, 40.703214}, {-74.014889, 40.702506}, ...



You can see that this has the latlongs in the reverse order. Plotting these points with your other latlong gives precisely the result you describe above.


Mathematica graphics



The solution is to map Reverse on these coordinates:


m2 = Graphics[{Red, Point@(Reverse /@ Cases[map, {_Real, _}, Infinity])}];
Show[m1,m2]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...