Skip to main content

plotting - Transformation of values on $x$ and $y$ axis for a LogLogPlot


I have been puzzled by the following issue:


When I am using LogLogPlot, while the graph of the function is transformed into the corresponding logarithmic expression, the values on the x and y axes remain the same. A good example is the following, taken from the documentation:


LogLogPlot[x^2, {x, 0.1, 10}]


enter image description here


When at x=10 the value of x^2 at $y$ axis should be, as correctly shown 100 but at a LogLogPlot, with Log[10,x] it should be: $\text{Log} (10^2)=2 \text{Log} 10=2$. Also, at x=10 the $x$ axis should be equivalently $\text{Log 10} =1$. But none of this is happening.


How is it possible to tell Mathematica to show the logarithmic values of the function and not the original ones?



Answer



A couple of ways:


Log-parametric plot:


ParametricPlot[Log10@{x, x^2}, {x, 0.1, 10}, AspectRatio -> 0.6]

Mathematica graphics



Redefining the ticks (note that LogLogPlot transforms the coordinates by the natural logarithm, so the ticks have to be scaled by Log[10] to get common logarithm coordinate markings):


Show[LogLogPlot[x^2, {x, 0.1, 10}], 
Ticks -> {Charting`ScaledTicks[{#*Log[10] &, #/Log[10] &}],
Charting`ScaledTicks[{#*Log[10] &, #/Log[10] &}]},
PlotRangePadding -> Scaled[.05] (*OR*) (*AxesOrigin -> {Log[0.1],Log[0.01]}*)]

Mathematica graphics


Instead of PlotRangePadding (no vertical axis in V11.1.1 if omitted), one can also control the axes with AxesOrigin.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...