Skip to main content

front end - TraditionalForm-like typesetting in Jupyter notebook


One of the nice thing about running Mathematica codes in the front-end, is that one can attach custom typesetting rules to the user-defined symbols. Then, setting the format type of new output cells to TraditionalForm provides you with a nice output similar to what one sees in papers and textbooks.


Suppose that someone wants to use my package (that comes with extensive typesetting rules) with the free Wolfram Engine, where the front-end is a Jupyter notebook. As far as I can see, no typesetting is displayed by default.


As a minimal working example, consider the following code.


cf /: MakeBoxes[cf[i_], TraditionalForm] := SubscriptBox["c", i];

SMP /: MakeBoxes[SMP["g_W"], TraditionalForm] :=
SubscriptBox["g", "W"];
MakeBoxes[myvec[x_], TraditionalForm] :=
TemplateBox[{OverscriptBox[ToBoxes[x], "\[RightArrow]"]}, "Abs"];
MakeBoxes[Power[myvec[x_], n_], TraditionalForm] :=
SuperscriptBox[
TemplateBox[{OverscriptBox[ToBoxes[x], "\[RightArrow]"]}, "Abs"],
ToBoxes[n]] /; OddQ[n];
MakeBoxes[Power[myvec[x_], n_], TraditionalForm] :=
SuperscriptBox[OverscriptBox[ToBoxes[x], "\[RightArrow]"],

ToBoxes[n]] /; EvenQ[n];

In Mathematica, for


SMP["g_W"] (cf[1] myvec[v] + cf[2] myvec[v]^2 + cf[3] myvec[v]^3)

I get the expected typesetted output, but in Jupyter this is not the case.


Mathematica output Jupyter output


Is there something that can be tweaked in the notebook configuration or in the package source code, to get the typesetting working?



Answer



I'd just use StandardForm because the loop WE-Jupyter is tricky to hook to.



I guess this solution won't work once WLforJupyter is out of beta stage but anyway:


toOut = toOutImage @* TraditionalForm;
toOut /: (toOut = _) := Null;

It is not a joke :)


enter image description here


Explanation


toOut and toOutImage are symbols that are originally defined within the loop that handles communication between the Kernel and Jupyter notebook. Kernel sends evaluated response but Jupyter does not understand MMA Box language so it needs to be something else. Currently it is implemented that it is either a plain text, an image or an embedded iFrame with contents deployed to cloud.


WLforJupyter loop makes a choice that it should be e.g. an image and does toOut = toOutImage @ evaluationResults


So the trick is to set toOut (1st line) and prevent it from being reset (2nd line). :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...