Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Solve command does not solve this equation!


I tried to solve the following equation with Mathematica:


$\left(1-x^2\right) \left(n \left(x^4-2 x^2+5\right)-4 \pi \left(x^2-1\right)\right) \sinh (\pi x) \cosh (n x)+\sinh (n x) \left(\left(1-x^2\right) \left(\pi \left(x^4-2 x^2+5\right)-4 n \left(x^2-1\right)\right) \cosh (\pi x)-2 x \left(x^4-2 x^2-3\right) \sinh (\pi x)\right)=0$


but the answer is: "This system cannot be solved with the methods available to Solve."


I also tried Maple, the result was a long relation in terms of RootOf. How can I obtain an explicit solution for $x$ in terms of $n$?


(1/(4 (-1 + 
x^2)^2))((1 - x^2) (-4 \[Pi] (-1 + x^2) +

n (5 - 2 x^2 + x^4)) Cosh[n x] Sinh[\[Pi] x] +
Sinh[n x] ((1 -
x^2) (-4 n (-1 + x^2) + \[Pi] (5 - 2 x^2 +
x^4)) Cosh[\[Pi] x] -
2 x (-3 - 2 x^2 + x^4) Sinh[\[Pi] x])) == 0

Answer



As I noted in my answer to your other question, this type of problem can be solved numerically using FindAllCrossings from this answer.


With[
{n = 1},
FindAllCrossings[(1/(4 (-1 + x^2)^2)) ((1 - x^2) (-4 π (-1 + x^2) + n (5 - 2 x^2 + x^4)) Cosh[n x] Sinh[π x] + Sinh[n x] ((1 - x^2) (-4 n (-1 + x^2) + π (5 - 2 x^2 + x^4)) Cosh[π x] - 2 x (-3 - 2 x^2 + x^4) Sinh[π x])), {x, -5, 5}, WorkingPrecision -> 20]

]


{-1.7736824298128102343}



What the function does is that it automates the method based on ContourPlot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...