Skip to main content

programming - How can I type-check the arguments of a Mathematica function?


(For educational purposes) I defined the following functions:


Translation (in $\mathbb{R}^2$):


trM[vec_] := {{1, 0, vec[[1]]}, {0, 1, vec[[2]]}, {0, 0, 1}}

Rotation (in $\mathbb{R}^2$):



rotM[angle_] := {{Cos[angle], -Sin[angle], 0}, {Sin[angle], Cos[angle], 0}, {0, 0, 1}}

Rotation around a point (in $\mathbb{R}^2$):


rotM[pt_, angle_] := trM[pt].rotM[angle].trM[-pt]

So far so good, now I want a function:


rotM[angle_, n_] := 
{{Cos[n angle], -Sin[n angle], 0}, {Sin[n angle], Cos[n angle], 0}, {0, 0, 1}}

Now



 rotM[angle_, n_] 

and


rotM[pt_, angle_] 

share — in Mathematica — the same signature, which breaks the polymorphism I intended to use, which then leads to the following question.


How can I type-check the arguments of a Mathematica function to enforce polymorphism?



Answer



At a minimal level you could discriminate like this


f[angle_ n_] := ...

f[pt : {_, _}, angle_] := ...

But if you want to be really picky, you could limit your pt argument to only except a list of two elements, both of which are numeric objects, but neither of which is a complex number. This can be done by defining a new argument pattern


pt2D = {Repeated[Except[_Complex, _?NumericQ], {2}]};

and using the pattern in a function definition such as


f[v : pt2D] := v

then


pts = {{1, 2}, {1., 2.}, {1., 2}, {1, π}, 1, {1}, {1, I}, {1, 2, 3}};

f /@ pts

gives



{{1, 2}, {1., 2.}, {1., 2}, {1, π}, f[1], f[{1}], f[{1, I}], f[{1, 2, 3}]}

Note both the wide acceptance of forms that have the structure of 2D points and the rejection of forms that don't.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...