Skip to main content

programming - Find permutations with constraints without using Permutations


EDIT: To clarify, the bottleneck right now is available RAM, so any answer should keep that in mind (I cannot store all T! lists of length T and filter out those that satisfy the condition a posteriori.)


I want to find all permutations of the elements of Range[0,T-1] that satisfy a condition, but where T may be too large for Permutations to be useable: first generating and storing all permutations simply consumes too much RAM. The condition is always such that cond = {c[1],c[2],...,c[T]} means that the first element of the permutation must be larger than or equal to c[1], the second element must be larger than or equal to c[2] etc. The condition is sorted in increasing order, and we can assume that the condition is not so strict that no permutations survive.


I have managed to implement what I want, but in a very procedural way using a recursive function (the details here are not that important):


recuPerm[level_] :=
If[level == 0,

res[[1]] = Total[avail];
Sow[res],
((res[[level + 1]] = #; avail[[First[#] + 1]] = 0;
recuPerm[level - 1];
avail[[
First[#] + 1]] = #) & /@ ({(allow[[level + 1]].avail)} /.
Plus -> Sequence));
]

and I call it from the wrapper function:



listPerm[T_, cond_] :=
Block[
{a, avail, allow, res = ConstantArray[1, T], rip},
avail = a /@ Range[0, T - 1];
allow =
Table[PadLeft[ConstantArray[1, T - cond[[i]]], T], {i,
T}];
rip = Reap[recuPerm[T - 1]][[2]];
If[rip == {}, {}, rip[[1]]]
]


(The dummy head a is simply there so I can use Total and Dot in order to pick out allowed elements.)


Do you know of an approach that is more functional in nature and/or can better take advantage of the strengths of Mathematica? If it's more memory efficient (or faster) than my (unelegant) attempt then that's of course a bonus!



Answer



This is pretty functional:


f = Module[{comps, r = Reverse@Range[#2, #1 - 1]},
comps[l1_, l2_] := Join @@ Map[Thread[{Sequence @@ #, Complement[l2, #]}] &, l1];
Reverse /@ Fold[comps, Transpose@{First@r}, Rest@r]] &;

This is about 10-15% faster, very slightly higher memory use (but still far below your current solution):



fz = With[{r = Reverse@Range[#2, #1 - 1]}, 
Fold[(Join @@ MapThread[Thread[{Sequence @@ #1, #2}] &,
{#1, Outer[Complement, {#2}, #1, 1][[1]]}]) &,
Transpose@{r[[1]]}, Rest@r][[All, -1 ;; 1 ;; -1]]] &;

Comparing and including djp's interesting solution:


t = 11;
c = cond = {0, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6};

lp = listPerm[t, c]; // Timing // First


Timing[
possibleElements = Range[cond, Length@cond - 1];
fn[{{last_}}] := {{last}};
fn[{most__List, last_List}] := Table[{fn[{most} /. i -> Sequence[]], i}, {i, last}];
intermediate = fn[possibleElements];
result = intermediate //. {x : {{__Integer} ..}, i_Integer} :> Sequence @@ (Append[#, i] & /@ x);
] // First

fr = f[t, c]; // Timing // First


fzr = fz[t, c]; // Timing // First

(lp /. a[x_] :> x) == result == fr == fzr

(*

8.704856

6.661243


2.839218

2.464816

True

*)

Timings on an old netbook, but ~3X faster. Memory utilization s/b close to optimal: it never grows the intermediate results list to more than the ultimate results list length. Fails gracefully - if restrictions have no results, it returns no permutations (your current code, I'm sure you're aware, goes bonkers ;-} ). This s/b easy to adapt to a staggered restriction range, that is, differing lower and upper bounds for each position, should you so desire.



Neat puzzle, BTW...


Side note: You'll beat these by doing things iteratively... bodging up a function generator that builds such a solution based on parameters was 60% faster than my own fastest on some quick tests...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...