Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - How to calculate specific area on surface of sphere?


I am trying to calculate the solid angle subtended by arbitrary-shaped loops on a sphere's surface.


First, I parametrize circular loops by:


$$\theta(t,k_{x0},r) = k_{x_0} + r \cos(t);$$ $$\phi(t,k_{y0},r) = k_{y_0} + r \sin(t);$$


where $0\leq t\leq2\pi$, and $k_{x_0}$, $k_{y_0}$ define the loop's center. So, we can say that this step draws out a circular loop on the $\theta/\phi$ plane.


Then I project these onto the sphere's surface using spherical coordinates, as follows:



$$x(\theta,\phi)=r \cos{\theta}\sin{\phi}, y(\theta,\phi)=r \sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}, z(\theta,\phi)=r \cos{\phi}$$


How do I go about calculating the surface area within these $(x,y,z)$ loops on the surface? This will allow me to calculate the solid angle I need.


The solid angle is given by: $$\Omega= \iint_S \frac{\hat{r}\cdot\hat{n}}{r^2} \, \mathrm{d}\Sigma = \iint_{\mathcal{R}}\sin \theta \, \mathrm{d} \theta \, \mathrm{d} \phi=\frac{\textrm{spherical surface area}}{r^2}$$


I tried using various types of RegionMeasures to calculate this area (such as defining the area within the loop on the sphere as a Region, and by varying the radius from 0 to r, calculating the length of each loop in between and summing it all up), but I feel like I am missing a simple answer to my problem. Maybe what I am missing is a way to somehow map my arbitrary loops into a appropriate integration bounds for $\Omega$, but I tried to avoid this by resorting to Mathematica.


So far, I found the following posts most useful:


Integrate to calculate enclosed area


https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1832110/area-of-a-circle-on-sphere


Thanks in advance for your time!


Note: I am parametrizing these loops in a peculiar way because I am trying to investigate a physics problem where the functions $x(\theta,\phi),y(\theta,\phi),z(\theta,\phi)$ will be different, and make my loops twist and turn. The ultimate goal is to find the solid angle in these cases, but I wanted to start with the sphere.


Note: I posted a similar question before, but it was misinterpreted by answerers because I did a poor job phrasing it at first, and I am afraid that it lost attention and I still am clueless as to how to proceed (I did not want to delete it because others already put time into it).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Adding a thick curve to a regionplot

Suppose we have the following simple RegionPlot: f[x_] := 1 - x^2 g[x_] := 1 - 0.5 x^2 RegionPlot[{y < f[x], f[x] < y < g[x], y > g[x]}, {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}] Now I'm trying to change the curve defined by $y=g[x]$ into a thick black curve, while leaving all other boundaries in the plot unchanged. I've tried adding the region $y=g[x]$ and playing with the plotstyle, which didn't work, and I've tried BoundaryStyle, which changed all the boundaries in the plot. Now I'm kinda out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated! Answer With f[x_] := 1 - x^2 g[x_] := 1 - 0.5 x^2 You can use Epilog to add the thick line: RegionPlot[{y < f[x], f[x] < y < g[x], y > g[x]}, {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}, PlotPoints -> 50, Epilog -> (Plot[g[x], {x, 0, 2}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Thick}][[1]]), PlotStyle -> {Directive[Yellow, Opacity[0.4]], Directive[Pink, Opacity[0.4]],