Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - How to calculate specific area on surface of sphere?


I am trying to calculate the solid angle subtended by arbitrary-shaped loops on a sphere's surface.


First, I parametrize circular loops by:


$$\theta(t,k_{x0},r) = k_{x_0} + r \cos(t);$$ $$\phi(t,k_{y0},r) = k_{y_0} + r \sin(t);$$


where $0\leq t\leq2\pi$, and $k_{x_0}$, $k_{y_0}$ define the loop's center. So, we can say that this step draws out a circular loop on the $\theta/\phi$ plane.


Then I project these onto the sphere's surface using spherical coordinates, as follows:



$$x(\theta,\phi)=r \cos{\theta}\sin{\phi}, y(\theta,\phi)=r \sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}, z(\theta,\phi)=r \cos{\phi}$$


How do I go about calculating the surface area within these $(x,y,z)$ loops on the surface? This will allow me to calculate the solid angle I need.


The solid angle is given by: $$\Omega= \iint_S \frac{\hat{r}\cdot\hat{n}}{r^2} \, \mathrm{d}\Sigma = \iint_{\mathcal{R}}\sin \theta \, \mathrm{d} \theta \, \mathrm{d} \phi=\frac{\textrm{spherical surface area}}{r^2}$$


I tried using various types of RegionMeasures to calculate this area (such as defining the area within the loop on the sphere as a Region, and by varying the radius from 0 to r, calculating the length of each loop in between and summing it all up), but I feel like I am missing a simple answer to my problem. Maybe what I am missing is a way to somehow map my arbitrary loops into a appropriate integration bounds for $\Omega$, but I tried to avoid this by resorting to Mathematica.


So far, I found the following posts most useful:


Integrate to calculate enclosed area


https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1832110/area-of-a-circle-on-sphere


Thanks in advance for your time!


Note: I am parametrizing these loops in a peculiar way because I am trying to investigate a physics problem where the functions $x(\theta,\phi),y(\theta,\phi),z(\theta,\phi)$ will be different, and make my loops twist and turn. The ultimate goal is to find the solid angle in these cases, but I wanted to start with the sphere.


Note: I posted a similar question before, but it was misinterpreted by answerers because I did a poor job phrasing it at first, and I am afraid that it lost attention and I still am clueless as to how to proceed (I did not want to delete it because others already put time into it).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...