Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Why the Kernel crashes on these integrals in V12?


Reported to WRI, [CASE:4331819]




This is using V12, on windows 10, 64 bit. Note: these integrals work OK on 11.3 on same PC.


enter image description here




Any idea why the Kernel now crashes on these types of integrals?


ClearAll[x,a,b,c,e,d,f,g,n];

(*these from file #40,41*)

Integrate[(1 + x^2)^3/(1 + x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(1 + x^2)^2/(1 + x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(1 + x^2)/(1 + x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(7 + 5*x^2)^3/(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(7 + 5*x^2)^2/(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(7 + 5*x^2)/(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2)*(7 + 5*x^2)^3, x];
Integrate[(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2)*(7 + 5*x^2)^2, x];
Integrate[(2 + 3*x^2 + x^4)^(3/2)*(7 + 5*x^2), x];
Integrate[(7+5*x^2)^4/(2+3*x^2+x^4)^(3/2),x];

Integrate[(7+5*x^2)^2/(2+3*x^2+x^4)^(3/2),x];
Integrate[(4+3*x^2+x^4)^(3/2)*(7+5*x^2),x];
Integrate[(d+e*x^2)*(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2)/(f*x)^(1/2),x];

(*these from file #42*)
Integrate[(a*g - c*g*x^4)/(a + b*x^2 + c*x^4)^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(a*g+e*x-c*g*x^4)/(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2),x];
Integrate[(a*g+f*x^3-c*g*x^4)/(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2),x];
Integrate[(a*g+e*x+f*x^3-c*g*x^4)/(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2),x];


(*these from file #44*)
Integrate[(A+B*x^2)*(d+e*x^2)/(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2),x];
Integrate[(A+B*x^2)/(a+b*x^2+c*x^4)^(3/2),x]

(*these from file #49*)
Integrate[(-a*h*x^(n/2 - 1) + c*f*x^(n - 1) + c*g*x^(2*n - 1) +c*h*x^((5*n)/2 - 1))/(a + b*x^n + c*x^(2*n))^(3/2), x];
Integrate[(x^(n/2 - 1)*(-a*h + c*f*x^(n/2) + c*g*x^((3*n)/2)+c*h*x^(2*n)))/(a + b*x^n + c*x^(2*n))^(3/2), x];
Integrate[((d*x)^(n/2-1)*(-a*h+c*f*x^(n/2)+c*g*x^((3*n)/2)+c*h*x^(2*n)))/(a+b*x^n+c*x^(2*n))^(3/2),x];
(*etc..*)


Mathematica graphics


Mathematica graphics


Mathematica graphics


No problem with V 11.3


Mathematica graphics


Mathematica graphics


Mathematica graphics


Does this happen to others and on other systems or just on windows 10?


It looks like it is the same bug that is causing all these crashes, but I can't be sure.


I am finding that V12 kernel crashes more than V 11.3 kernel and also in strange ways. This makes it very hard to run a long script, when kernel keeps crashing.



ps. I think WRI should have been able to detect these before making a release by running regression tests. I am using Rubi integration test files to find these problems.


pps. I hope I do not get downvoted again for asking about a possible problem in Mathematica like in the last post on that bizarre kernel crash.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...