Skip to main content

parallelization - $IterationLimit and parallel computing


Short question: How can you set $IterationLimit for parallel computation?


I thought just setting $IterationLimit = Infinity would work but it doesn't. I still get Iteration limit exceeded errors. A bit of sample code below:


fff[0] = 1;
fff[p_] := fff[p - 1] (*simple function*)
limit = $IterationLimit (*checking $IterationLimit*)

fff[limit + 1000] (*this should give $IterationLimit::itlim error*)


ParallelTable[fff[i], {i, limit + 1000, limit + 1004}] (*this should also give multiple $IterationLimit::itlim errors*)

$IterationLimit = Infinity; (*setting infinite $IterationLimit*)

fff[limit + 1000] (*now this should compute without errors*)

ParallelTable[fff[i], {i, limit + 1000, limit + 1004}] (*this shouldn't give any errors either but for me it throws $IterationLimit::itlim errors*)

Answer



When using parallelization in Mathematica, it is very important to understand that the "parallel threads" are completely separate kernel processes. Assume that any communication between the main kernel and subkernels needs to be explicit (though there is some automation since version 8: DistributeDefinitions is done automatically in many cases).


Since fff is defined by you, the user, in the Global` context, the definition of fff is automatically distributed to the subkernels (in v8 and later) by ParallelTable and you don't need to use DistributeDefinitions explicitly. However, $IterationLimit is a system symbol, and it won't be distributed.



If you set $IterationLimit on the main kernel, it will only have an effect on the main kernel.


The subkernels have their own $IterationLimit which you need to set separately with the aid of ParallelEvaluate. (Do not use DistributeDefinitions in this case.)


ParallelEvaluate[$IterationLimit = ...]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...