Skip to main content

programming - How to use Mathematica functions in Python programs?


I'd like to know how can I call Mathematica functions from Python.


I appreciate a example, for example, using the Mathematica function Prime.


I had search about MathLink but how to use it in Python is a little obscure to me.


I tried to use a Mathematica-Python library called pyml but I hadn't no sucess, maybe because this lib looks very old (in tutorial says Mathematica 2 or 3).


So, someone knows a good way to write python programs who uses Mathematica functions and can give me an example?


Old Edit:


Maybe this edit can help someone who wants to use mathlinks directly.


To another solution, please see the answer accepted.


Using the Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0/SystemFiles/Links/Python I could had sucess in compiling the module changing some things in setup.py.



My architechture is x86-64.


1-Change the mathematicaversion to 8.0.


2-Changing the lib name ML32i3 to ML64i3.


3-Copying the file Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux-x86-64/libML64i3.so to the path pointed in setup.py library_dirs = ["/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/" + mathematicaversion + "/SystemFiles/Links/MathLink/DeveloperKit/Linux/CompilerAdditions"].


5-Compiling the source with sudo python setup.py build.


6-Installing the lib with sudo python setup.py install


4-Editing the file /etc/ld.so.conf and putting the line include /usr/local/lib.


5-Creating a directory in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mathlink with the lib libML64i3.so.


6-Running sudo ldconfig


I had tested the scripts guifrontend.py with python guifrontend.py -linkname "math -mathlink" -linkmode launch and textfrontend.py with python textfrontend.py -linkname "math -mathlink" -linkmode launch and worked fine.



Looks like I almost. But the script


>>> from mathlink import *
>>> import exceptions,sys, re, os
>>> from types import ListType
>>> mathematicaversion = "8.0"
>>> os.environ["PATH"] = "/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/" + mathematicaversion + ":/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
>>> e = env()
>>> sys.argv=['textfrontend.py', '-linkname', 'math -mathlink', '-linkmode', 'launch']
>>> kernel = e.openargv(sys.argv)
>>> kernel.connect()

>>> kernel.ready()
0
>>> kernel.putfunction("Prime",1)
>>> kernel.putinteger(10)
>>> kernel.flush()
>>> kernel.ready()
0
>>> kernel.nextpacket()
8
>>> packetdescriptiondictionary[3]

'ReturnPacket'
>>> kernel.getinteger()
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "", line 1, in
mathlink.error: MLGet out of sequence.

breaks in the last command and I don't know why. How can I fix this?



Answer



This solution can work with several programming languages. Check this GitHub repository of mine.


See this link.



I have found a solution. Works fine to me.


Steps:


1-Create a script named runMath with the content:


#!/usr/bin/env wolframscript
# for certain older versions of Mathematica replace 'wolframscript' by
# 'MathematicaScript -script' in the shebang line

value=ToExpression[$ScriptCommandLine[[2]]];

(*The next line prints the script name.*)

(*Print[$ScriptCommandLine[[1]]];*)

Print[value];

2-I gave execution privilege to the file.


sudo chmod +x runMath

3-Moved the file to the execution path


sudo mv runMath /usr/local/bin/


4-Created a new script called run with the content:


#!/usr/bin/python
from subprocess import *
from sys import *

command='/usr/local/bin/runMath'
parameter=argv[1]

call([command,parameter])


5-Moved to the execution path


sudo mv run /usr/local/bin

6-Finally, tested it:


$run Prime[100]
541

$run 'Sum[2x-1,{x,1,k}]'
k^2


$run Integrate[Log[x],x]
-x + x*Log[x]

$run 'Zeta[2]'
Pi^2/6

You can use with ou without '. The ' are needed to command with spaces.


$run 'f[n_] := f[n] = f[n - 1] + f[n - 2]; f[1] = f[2] = 1; Table[f[n],{n,5}]'
{1, 1, 2, 3, 5}


Happy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...