Skip to main content

plotting - Getting a correct custom legend for contourplot?


I am having trouble making a custom range for a legend in ContourPlot since the legend doesn't "talk" to the PlotRange and adjust its scale accordingly. How do I go about fixing this?


As an explicit example consider the following. If I run ContourPlot with an automatic legend I get the right scaling:


 ContourPlot[x y , {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}, PlotLegends->Automatic,

ColorFunction ->"BlueGreenYellow"]

enter image description here


But if I use a custom legend range then the legend no longer corresponds to the image:


ContourPlot[x y , {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2},
PlotLegends -> BarLegend[{"BlueGreenYellow", {0, 10}}]

enter image description here


How do I get the plot to use the same scale as the legend?



Answer




This was more involved than I expected. First, you need to set the ColorFunction to encompass the full range,


ColorData[{"BlueGreenYellow", {0, 10}}]

Interestingly, I did not know about that form of ColorData until earlier this week, so I recommend reading through the Details section closely. Now, to use this within ContourPlot, you need to set


ColorFunctionScaling -> False

otherwise ContourPlot will rescale everything. As to the legend, you need to specify both the contour range, like you were doing, and the number of contours to force it to use the range correctly,


BarLegend[{Automatic, {0, 10}}, 20]

Note the use of Automatic, the color function is automatically passed to the legend, so you do not to add it again. The range is necessary because the legend is only passed the range present in the plot itself. Lastly, the number of contours has to be large enough for BarLegend to use the full range, and 20 works here. All together, this is



ContourPlot[x y, {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2},
PlotLegends -> BarLegend[{Automatic, {0, 10}}, 20],
ColorFunction -> ColorData[{"BlueGreenYellow", {0, 10}}],
ColorFunctionScaling -> False
]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...