Skip to main content

simplifying expressions - Simplify 2D polyhedral Regions like Interval


I don't think there's a built in "RegionSimplify" for polyhedral Regions and derived akin to how Interval automatically simplifies its argument expression:


Interval[{0, 1}, {1, 2}]

and


Interval[{0, 1}]~IntervalUnion~Interval[{1, 2}]

yield


Interval[{0, 2}]


In contrast, RegionUnion remains unevaluated, even in 2D:


Line[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}}]~ RegionUnion ~ Line[{{1, 0}, {2, 0}}]

(* RegionUnion[Line[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}}], Line[{{1, 0}, {2, 0}}]] *)

From


Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}] ~ RegionUnion ~ 
Rectangle[{1, 0}, {2, 1}] // RegionBoundary // DiscretizeRegion


enter image description here


As expected, the Rectangles' common segment is not part of the output.


How to expose or compute the ideal normal form for 2D (at least) polyhedral Regions like these basic examples:


Overlapping lines:


Line[{{0, 0}, {2, 0}}]~ RegionUnion ~ Line[{{1, 0}, {3, 0}}] (* // RegionSimplify *)

(* Line[{{0,0},{3,0}}] *)

Union of rectangles:


 Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}] ~ RegionUnion ~ 

Rectangle[{1, 0}, {2, 1}] (* // RegionSimplify *)

(* Rectangle[{0, 0}, {2, 1}] *)

Boundary:


 Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1, 1}] ~ RegionUnion ~ 
Rectangle[{1, 0}, {2, 1}] // RegionBoundary (* // RegionSimplify *)

(* Line[{{0,0},{2,0},{2,1},{0,1},{0,0}}] *)


The simplification should work for all 2D polyhedral regions including cones (which btw the current language does not support correctly):


ConicHullRegion[{{0, 0}}, {{1, 0}, {1, 1}}] ~RegionUnion ~ 
ConicHullRegion[{{0, 0}}, {{0, 1}, {1, 1}}] (* // RegionSimplify *)

(* ConicHullRegion[{{0, 0}}, {{1, 0}, {0, 1}}] *)

For convex regions and convex-preserving operations (eg intersection) should suffice to consider the extreme set (vertices and rays), but in general regions aren't convex (and union doens't preserve it).


(Note: RegionIntersection of the same Rectangles hangs the kernel w/ msg: Last::nolast: "{} has a length of zero and no last element")




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...