Skip to main content

recursion - Recursive function with if-statement


I am trying to represent the following function definition in Mathematica:


$$\begin{align*} f(1)&=1 \\ f(2n)&= \begin{cases}f(n) & \text{if}\space n\equiv0\pmod{2} \\ 2f(n) & \text{if}\space n\equiv1\pmod{2}\end{cases} \\ f(2n+1)&=\begin{cases}2f(n)+1 & \text{if}\space n\equiv0\pmod{2} \\ f(n) & \text{if}\space n\equiv1\pmod{2}\end{cases} \end{align*}$$


I have tried both the following definitions, but both of them return f[2011] as their output when I input f[2011] into the kernel.


Using if-statements:


f[1] := 1
f[2 n_] := If[Mod[n, 2] == 0, f[n], 2 f[n]]
f[2 n_ + 1] := If[Mod[n, 2] == 0, 2 f[n] + 1, f[n]]


And using switch-statements:


f[1] := 1
f[2 n_] := Switch[Mod[n, 2], 0, Evaluate[f[n]], 1, 2 Evaluate[f[n]]]
f[2 n_ + 1] := Switch[Mod[n, 2], 0, 2 Evaluate[f[n]] + 1, 1, Evaluate[f[n]]]

Neither of these definitions seem to give me what I'm after, so I'd appreciate any help.



Answer



I'd have done something like this:


f[1] = 1;
f[n_Integer?EvenQ] := f[n] =

Block[{m = n/2}, (1 + Boole[Mod[m, 2] == 1]) f[m]];
f[n_Integer?OddQ] := f[n] =
Block[{m = (n - 1)/2, t}, t = Boole[Mod[m, 2] == 0]; (1 + t) f[m] + t]

The use of both := and = in the odd and even cases is sometimes referred to as memoization; there are a number of threads on this site (e.g. the one just linked to) that discuss that in more detail.


In any event,


AbsoluteTiming[f[2011]]
{0.000785, 21}




If one wanted to compress things as with the other answers given,


f[1] = 1;
f[n_Integer] := f[n] =
Block[{m = Quotient[n, 2], t}, t = Mod[m, 2];
If[EvenQ[n], (1 + t) f[m], (2 - t) f[m] - t + 1]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...