Skip to main content

graphics - ListPlot: Plotting large data fast


Mathematica produces fantastic-looking graphics, but it can be slow on large data sets. Here is an example for a (random) time series:


rv = RandomVariate[ExponentialDistribution[2], 10^5];


Plotting this takes quite some time:


t = AbsoluteTime[]; ListLinePlot[rv, PlotRange -> All]
AbsoluteTime[] - t (* Put this line into the NEXT cell, and evaluate both cells together*)

Mathematica graphics


The option PerformanceGoal->"Speed" has no effect. Turning off antialiasing makes it much faster (but if you increase the data size to 10^6 instead of 10^5, it is still VERY slow. A time series of 10^6 points is quite reasonable in my applications):


t = AbsoluteTime[]; 
Style[ListLinePlot[rv, PlotRange -> All], Antialiasing -> False]
AbsoluteTime[] - t (* This line in separate cell! *)


Mathematica graphics


Reducing the number of MaxPlotPoints makes it much faster, but completely distorts the shape of the data:


t = AbsoluteTime[]; ListLinePlot[rv, PlotRange -> All, MaxPlotPoints -> 1000]
AbsoluteTime[] - t (* This line in separate cell! *)

Mathematica graphics


Question: I am interested in tricks to show the data quickly without distorting the shape. I am showing here my own solution, which is quite a bit of a hack, but it works. Are there more elegant solutions?


Edit:


My own answer, previously posted as part of the question, is now an independent answer (see below)




Answer



My own solution:


Note: I have earlier posted this answer as part of the question itself. I have now removed it there and put it as independent answer.


(see also here for a simpler version of this)


Options[fastListPlot] = {plotPoints -> 1000, AspectRatio -> Full, PlotRange -> All, Options[ListLinePlot]} // Flatten;
fastListPlot[data_, opts:OptionsPattern[]] :=
Module[{plotData=data, lengths, range = Automatic, points = OptionValue[plotPoints]},
While[Depth[plotData] <= 2, plotData= {plotData}];
lengths = Length/@plotData;
If[NumericQ[points],

plotData = Partition[#, Floor[Min[lengths]/points]]& /@ plotData;
plotData = Flatten[{Min /@ #, Max /@ #}\[Transpose]] & /@ plotData;
range = {1, Max[lengths]}
];
ListLinePlot[plotData, FilterRules[{opts, DataRange -> range,Options[fastListPlot]},Options[ListLinePlot]]
]
]

The trick is within the If statement: I partition the data into a number of blocks corresponding roughly to the resolution of my screen (usually 1000 or less, option plotPoints). Then I determine the Min and Max of each block, and draw a zig-zag line from min to max to min to max...


My solution, as presented, works for simple lists (i.e. of Depth 2), and also for lists containing more than 1 data set (Depth 3).



Examples:


fastListPlot[rv, PlotLabel -> "Fast"]
fastListPlot[rv, plotPoints -> All, PlotLabel -> "Normal, Slow"]
fastListPlot[{rv,rv/2}, PlotLabel -> "Fast, more than 1 dataset"]

Mathematica graphics


So, very nicely, the visual structure of the data is preserved, in particular the peaks in the data are preserved and still visible - despite only plotting 2000 points (first plot) instead of 100.000 points (middle plot).


The following doesn't quite work correctly (problem with DataRange):


fastListPlot[{rv,Take[rv/2,10000]}, plotPoints -> All, PlotLabel->"Original"]
fastListPlot[{rv,Take[rv/2,10000]}, plotPoints -> 1000, PlotLabel -> "Incorrect scaling"]


Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...