Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Using DSolve to solve an integral equation


I've the following integral (or DE) that I need to solve (for $x(t)$ and all the constants are known, real and positive):


$$k\cdot\theta\left(t-m\right)+(n-k)\cdot\theta\left(t-v\right)=$$ $$x(t)\cdot\text{a}+\text{b}\cdot\ln\left(1+\frac{x(t)}{\text{c}}\right)+\int_0^tx(\tau)\cdot\mathcal{L}_\text{s}^{-1}\left\{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f+sl}+\frac{s}{qs+p}}\right\}_{\left(t-\tau\right)}\space\text{d}\tau\tag1$$


I tried solving the equation with


DSolve[

{x[t]*a + b*Log[1 + ((x[t])/c)] +
Integrate[
x[Ï„] *
(InverseLaplaceTransform[1/((1/(f + s*l)) + (1/(s/(q*s + p)))), s, t - Ï„]),
{Ï„,0,t}] ==
k*HeavisideTheta[t - m] + (n - k)*HeavisideTheta[t - v],
x[0]==0, x'[0] == 0}, {x[t]}, {t}]

But it gives error messages. Is there a way in Mathematica to solve this integral/DE equation?



Answer




The following is a possible numeric solution, the key idea is simple: calculate the inverse Laplace transform symbolically first, then discretize the outer integral with right Riemann sum formula. (I know this formula is relatively rough, but given the upper limit is a variable, I'm not aware of better solution. )


We first substitute parameters into the equation and calculate Laplace inversion. Parameters are all set to 1 as suggested by OP in the comment. I've introduced 2 symbols int and inverse instead of Integrate and InverseLaplaceTransform to avoid unnecessary symbolic calculation, and use UnitStep to replace HeavisideTheta because it's more convenient for numeric calculation later.


eq = x[t] a + b Log[1 + x[t]/c] + int[x[Ï„] inverse[
1/(1/(f + s l) + 1/(s/(q s + p))), s, t - Ï„], {Ï„, 0, t}] ==
k HeavisideTheta[t - m] + (n - k) HeavisideTheta[t - v] /.
a | b | c | f | k | l | m | n | p | q | v -> 1 /. HeavisideTheta -> UnitStep /.
inverse -> InverseLaplaceTransform // Simplify

(*
int[((E^(-(1/2) (3 + Sqrt[5]) t -

1/2 (-3 + Sqrt[5]) Ï„) (-(-2 + Sqrt[5]) E^(Sqrt[5] t) - (2 + Sqrt[5]) E^(
Sqrt[5] Ï„)))/Sqrt[5] + DiracDelta[t - Ï„]) x[Ï„], {Ï„, 0,
t}] + Log[1 + x[t]] + x[t] == UnitStep[-1 + t]
*)

Since


Assuming[{t >= 0}, Integrate[DiracDelta[t - Ï„] x[Ï„], {Ï„, 0, t}]]
(* x[t] *)

The equation can be further simplified to



eq = eq /. DiracDelta[_] :> 0 /. int[a__] :> int@a + x[t]
(* int[(
E^(-(1/2) (3 + Sqrt[5]) t -
1/2 (-3 + Sqrt[5]) Ï„) (-(-2 + Sqrt[5]) E^(Sqrt[5] t) - (2 + Sqrt[5]) E^(
Sqrt[5] Ï„)) x[Ï„])/Sqrt[5], {Ï„, 0, t}] + Log[1 + x[t]] + 2 x[t] ==
UnitStep[-1 + t] *)

Then we define function for calculating right Riemann sum:


int[expr_, {t_, L_, R_, step_}] := step Total@Table[expr, {t, L + step, R, step}]


Finally, discretize the integral equation to a set of nonlinear algebraic equation and solve it with FindRoot:


step = 1/50;
bL = 0; bR = 2;
eqset = Table[eq, {t, bL, bR, step}] /. {Ï„, bL, a_} :> {Ï„, bL, a, step};
initial[t_] := 0;
sollst = FindRoot[eqset, Table[{x@t, initial@t}, {t, bL, bR, step}]][[All, -1]];
ListLinePlot[sollst, PlotRange -> All, DataRange -> {bL, bR}]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...