Skip to main content

How to find those missing edges in a grid graph


I want to find a new method for this question.Suppose I have a such graph


graph = Graph[{1 <-> 2, 1 <-> 6, 2 <-> 3, 2 <-> 7, 3 <-> 4, 3 <-> 17, 
4 <-> 5, 4 <-> 9, 5 <-> 10, 6 <-> 7, 7 <-> 17, 7 <-> 12, 17 <-> 9,
17 <-> 13, 9 <-> 10, 9 <-> 14, 11 <-> 12, 11 <-> 16, 12 <-> 13,
12 <-> 8, 13 <-> 14, 13 <-> 18, 14 <-> 24, 14 <-> 19, 24 <-> 20,

16 <-> 8, 16 <-> 21, 8 <-> 18, 8 <-> 22, 18 <-> 19, 18 <-> 23,
19 <-> 20, 19 <-> 15, 20 <-> 25, 21 <-> 22, 21 <-> 26, 22 <-> 23,
22 <-> 27, 23 <-> 15, 23 <-> 28, 15 <-> 29, 25 <-> 30, 26 <-> 27,
27 <-> 28, 28 <-> 29, 29 <-> 30}, VertexLabels -> "Name"]

Mathematica graphics


How to find those missing edges,such as {6<->11,10<->24,15<->25}?



Answer



If only edges are missing, you can first generate a list of candidate grid graphs with the same number of nodes as in graph, then see which one contains graph as a subgraph. IGraph/M has subgraph finding functionality.


It could be derived from any of these grids, as they all have the same number of nodes:



candidateGrids =
With[{vc = VertexCount[graph]},
GridGraph[{#, vc/#}] & /@ Select[Divisors[vc], # <= Sqrt[vc] &]
]

Mathematica graphics


Select the first one of these which contains graph as a subgraph:


<< IGraphM`
completeGrid = SelectFirst[candidateGrids, IGSubisomorphicQ[graph, #] &]


We can find one mapping between the vertices of graph and completeGrid using IGVF2GetSubisomorphism:


mapping = First@IGVF2GetSubisomorphism[graph, completeGrid]
(* <|1 -> 1, 2 -> 2, 6 -> 6, 3 -> 3, 7 -> 7, 4 -> 4, 17 -> 8,
5 -> 5, 9 -> 9, 10 -> 10, 12 -> 12, 13 -> 13, 14 -> 14, 11 -> 11,
16 -> 16, 8 -> 17, 18 -> 18, 24 -> 15, 19 -> 19, 20 -> 20, 21 -> 21,
22 -> 22, 23 -> 23, 15 -> 24, 25 -> 25, 26 -> 26, 27 -> 27, 28 -> 28,
29 -> 29, 30 -> 30|> *)

Then you can retrieve whatever you like: vertex coordinates, missing edges, etc.


coords = PropertyValue[{completeGrid, #}, VertexCoordinates] & /@ 

Lookup[mapping, VertexList[graph]]

SetProperty[
graph,
VertexCoordinates -> Thread[VertexList[graph] -> coords]
]

Mathematica graphics


Or missing edges:


reverseMapping = Reverse /@ Normal[mapping];


missing =
Block[{UndirectedEdge},
SetAttributes[UndirectedEdge, Orderless];
Complement[
EdgeList[completeGrid] /. reverseMapping,
EdgeList[graph]
]
]
(* {6 <-> 11, 10 <-> 24, 15 <-> 25} *)


(The Orderless attribute is temporarily set on UndirectedEdge to make sure that a <-> b is considered the same as b <-> a.)


HighlightGraph[
VertexReplace[completeGrid, reverseMapping],
missing,
GraphHighlightStyle -> "Dashed",
Options[completeGrid, GraphLayout]
]

Mathematica graphics





This will, of course, be quite slow due to the difficulty of finding subgraphs. It will only work well for small grids like the one in your example.


To get all possible mappings instead of just one, use IGVF2FindSubisomorphisms. There will always be at least 4 possible mapping due to the symmetries of grid graphs.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...