Skip to main content

simplifying expressions - Why doesn't Mathematica make an obvious simplification?


I am doing some calculation with summation and the Kronecker symbol. Here are my steps :


$Assumptions = 
k1 ∈ Reals && k2 ∈ Reals && k3 ∈ Reals && p1 ∈ Reals && p2 ∈ Reals && p3 ∈ Reals
k = {k1, k2, k3};
p = {p1, p2, p3};
d[i_, j_] := KroneckerDelta[i, j]
proj[i_, j_, k1_, k2_, k3_] :=
d[i, j] -
(d[i, 1]*k1 + d[i, 2]*k2 + d[i, 3]*k3)*

(d[j, 1]*k1 + d[j, 2]*k2 + d[j, 3]*k3)/
(k1^2 + k2^2 + k3^2)
test1 = proj[i, j, k1, k2, k3]*proj[i, j, p1, p2, p3];
test2 = Sum[Sum[test1, {i, 1, 3}], {j, 1, 3}]
test2 // Expand

To explain the steps:


1) I define $\vec{k}$ and $\vec{p}$ with real components.
2) I define a projector $P_{ij} \left( \vec{k} \right) = \delta_{ij} - \frac{k_i k_j}{k^2}$.
3) I compute a summation on the repeated subscript.



After the last step, I have a relatively big expression, the product of k and p components. It looks like $$3-\frac{a}{a+b+c} - \frac{b}{a+b+c} - \frac{c}{a+b+c} +...-...$$ The a, b and c stands for k1, k2 and k3 (or p1, 2, 3).


Now the question: why doesn't Mathematica make the simplification because, as anyone can see, the preceding expression can be simplified to $2 +...-...$


Is the problem linked to the Expand operation? How can I make the simplification I want?. I thought of using /. to do it, but that doesn't work either.


I hope someone will understand my question!



Answer



You have to explicitly tell Mathematica to simplify expressions. You can do this using Simplify or FullSimplify


Simplify@test2

(2 k2 k3 p2 p3 + 2 k1 p1 (k2 p2 + k3 p3) +
k1^2 (2 p1^2 + p2^2 + p3^2) + k2^2 (p1^2 + 2 p2^2 + p3^2) +

k3^2 (p1^2 + p2^2 + 2 p3^2))/((k1^2 + k2^2 + k3^2) (p1^2 + p2^2 +
p3^2))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...