Skip to main content

plotting - How to plot paired smooth histogram/distribution plots?



I've been trying to get paired distribution (aka "violin") plots like those shown below for a few hours, but all my attempts have failed.


enter image description here


The key features here are



  1. paired smooth histograms/distribution plots with a common vertical abscissa and divergent horizontal ordinates;

  2. different fill colors for the two subplots;


The closest Mathematica has are DistributionCharts, but these plots are not paired (i.e. they are always symmetrical).




I first tried SmoothHistogram, but it appears that there's no simple way to get a SmoothHistogram with a vertical abscissa.



Next I tried PairedSmoothHistogram, but I can't manage to assign different fill colors to the two sides.


BlockRandom[SeedRandom[0];
Quiet[
PairedSmoothHistogram[
RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], 100]
, RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], 100]
, AspectRatio -> Automatic
, Axes -> {False, True}
, Ticks -> None
, Spacings -> 0

, ImageSize -> 30
, Filling -> Axis
]
, OptionValue::nodef
]
]


Mathematica graphics




Then I tried a combination of SmoothKernelDistribution and either ListPlot, ParametricPlot or ContourPlot, but this won't work because neither ParametricPlot nor ContourPlot accepts a Fill option, and I can't figure out how to get ListPlot to fill the spaces between the curves and the vertical axis.


For example,


violin[data1_, data2_, rest___] := Module[
{ d1 = SmoothKernelDistribution[data1]
, d2 = SmoothKernelDistribution[data2]
, x
, xrange
}, xrange = {x, Sequence @@ (#[data1, data2] & /@ {Min, Max})}
; ParametricPlot[ {{-PDF[d1, x], x}, {PDF[d2, x], x}}
, Evaluate@xrange

, rest
, PlotRange -> All
, Axes -> {None, True}
, Ticks -> None
, PlotRangePadding -> {Automatic, None}
]
];

BlockRandom[SeedRandom[0];
violin[RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], 100],

RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[], 100],
ImageSize -> 30
]
]


Mathematica graphics





I didn't expect this would be so hard. My brain is now fried.



Does anyone know how one does this?



Answer



Here is something using a custom ChartElementFunction


Module[{c = 0},
half[{{xmin_, xmax_}, {ymin_, ymax_}}, data_, metadata_] := (c++;
Map[Reverse[({0, Mean[{xmin, xmax}]} + # {1, (-1)^c})] &,
First@Cases[
First@Cases[InputForm[SmoothHistogram[data, Filling -> Axis]],
gc_GraphicsComplex :> Normal[gc], ∞],
p_Polygon, ∞], {2}])]


(thanks to @halirutan for reminding me about how to do closures in WL).


data = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], {4, 2, 100}];

DistributionChart[data, BarSpacing -> -1, ChartElementFunction -> half]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...