Skip to main content

functions - Fixed-Point Numbers in Mathematica


I am working with a library that needs input in a Fixed Point notation. I’d like to figure out a way to convert the floating point results into fixed point representation.


The fixed point length is 16 bit. Numbers can be represented with a variable number of bits and I can specify the format of the bits. For instance, I can represent a number as Signed[3.13], upto 3 bits are used to represent the integer portion, and 13 bits are used for the fraction (resolution of 2^-13).



Q1. What is the best method to convert Mathematica floating point output into a 16 bit number. Ideally, I’d like a function like:


f[x_, signbits_, integerbits_, fractionbits_]

Q2. Given a set of numbers, what is the best method to determine the ideal number of integer bits and fractional bits used for the representation in order to minimize truncation errors


data = {0.0000618365, 0.0000701533, -0.0000747471, 0.0000595436, 0.0000705533, \
0.0000728675, 0.0000711056, 0.0000684559, 0.0000753624, -0.0000557638}

Answer



Answering my own question from a while ago.


Turns out the easiest method is using MMA’s built-in Computer Arithmetic package


<< ComputerArithmetic`


(*Set Math Parameters*)

SetArithmetic[6, 10, ExponentRange -> {-20, 20}];

fpConvert[x_, integerbits_, fractionbits_] := ComputerNumber[IntegerPart[x] + Round[FractionalPart[x], 2^-fractionbits]];

Let’s test the output:


N[fpConvert[Pi, 3, 2], {8, 8}]
N[fpConvert[Pi, 3, 4], {8, 8}]

N[fpConvert[Pi, 3, 8], {8, 8}]
N[fpConvert[Pi, 3, 13], {8, 8}]

Works fine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...