Skip to main content

graphics - How to draw rectangle in mathematica with arrow


I have a basic question but i cant seem to find an answer for it.


How do i draw a rectangle in mathematica with either clockwise or counterclockwise arrow heads. enter image description here


In this picture i know two points i.e. (xmin,ymin) and (xmax,ymax). I want to stepwise quench my system and show it in this picture and hence many rectangles between min and max.


Rectangle command doesnt seem to provide an answer. And i want to do it with very many points, hence couple of answers that are available in forum are not so useful.


(-1+X+1/(1/3+(-3.+3 X)/(3 (1.*10^-18+4.5*10^-12 (2+X)+2.59808*10^-9 Sqrt[4.*10^-12-4 (-1+X)^3+1.*10^-6 (8-(-20+X) X)])^(1/3))+333333. (1.*10^-18+4.5*10^-12 (2+X)+2.59808*10^-9 Sqrt[4.*10^-12-4 (-1+X)^3+1.*10^-6 (8-(-20+X) X)])^(1/3)))/X

This is the plotted function f.



Now i want to select two X values say X=1.1 and X=3 and divide interval into N parts X = {X1, X2, X3, X4, X5} and directed rectangle between each of the two consecutive values.


Because i cant do it in mathematica i drew it in paint and it looks something like this with clockwise arrows for each rectangle.


enter image description here


Thanks, Nitin



Answer



Because using Graph is fun:


f[x_] := Sqrt@x
x = {1.1, 1.6, 2.2, 2.4, 3}; (* put any thing you want here *)
coord = {First@#, {First@#[[2]], Last@#[[1]]}, Last@#, {First@#[[1]], Last@#[[2]]}} & /@
Partition[{#, f@#} & /@ x, 2, 1];

ef1[el_, ___] := {Arrowheads@0.03, Arrow[el]}
g = Graph[{1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, 3 -> 4, 4 -> 1},
VertexCoordinates -> #,
EdgeShapeFunction -> ef1] & /@ coord;
Show[Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 5}, Frame -> True], g]

enter image description here


Then you can play with EdgeStyle or VertexStyle in g to have fancy colors (or see Graph's Options for more details) and with Arrowheads to have bigger/smaller heads.




Additions regarding coord (as requested in the comments):



If you consider that {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},{x3,y3}} are the coordinates of the three first points crossing f@x you need to group them in order to create two rectangles:


rectgroups = Partition[{{x1,y1},{x2,y2},{x3,y3}}, 2, 1]


{{{x1, y1}, {x2, y2}}, {{x2, y2}, {x3, y3}}}



with {{x1, y1}, {x2, y2}} and {{x2, y2}, {x3, y3}} forming two rectangles by their opposed coordinates.


The problem here is that in order to draw a rectangle while using VertexCoordinates (it's in fact not the case with Rectangle) you need the four points defining your rectangle. Thus:


makerect = {First@#, {First@#[[2]], Last@#[[1]]}, Last@#, {First@#[[1]], Last@#[[2]]}}&;
makerect /@ rectgroups



{{{x1, y1}, {x2, y1}, {x2, y2}, {x1, y2}}, {{x2, y2}, {x3, y2}, {x3, y3}, {x2, y3}}}



gives you the two other coordinates needed to define the rectangles ({x2,y1} and {x1,y2} in the first case).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...