Skip to main content

front end - How to see Monitor temporary cell with ParallelSubmit?


I have a function to load large files into a "HSQL(Standalone)" database for processing that uses Monitor to update the interface on the progress and status of the upload.


loadBigFile[t_Integer?Positive, steps_Integer?Positive] :=
Module[{stepProgress = 0},
Monitor[
While[stepProgress < steps,

(* Read batch and load to db *)
Pause[t];
stepProgress += 1
],
Column[{StringRiffle[ToString /@ {stepProgress, steps}, " of "],
ProgressIndicator[stepProgress, {0, steps}]},
Alignment -> Center]
];
stepProgress
]


loadBigFile is just to demonstrate the issue.


loadBigFile[1, 10]
(* 10 *)

enter image description here


This process takes 30+ minutes to load each file. I would like to concurrently load these files to reduce the wait time by using ParallelSubmit.


k = LaunchKernels[2];
DistributeDefinitions[loadBigFile];
{f1, f2} = {ParallelSubmit[loadBigFile[1, 5]], ParallelSubmit[loadBigFile[1, 9]]}


enter image description here


When I execute WaitAll the EvaluationObjects do run concurrently. However, instead of a monitor temporary cell for each of them I get a front end error from each kernel they are running on.


WaitAll[{f1, f2}]
CloseKernels[k];

enter image description here


(* {5, 9} *)



FrontEndObject::notavail: A front end is not available; certain operations require a front end.



How do I get the monitor temporary cells to show in the notebook for each EvaluationObject running? Or is there another method I should use for concurrent execution with Monitor?



Answer



From the link in the comment above I have devised a solution included here for ParallelSubmit specific searches.


Monitor can not be used so I make a progress function that will assist with the visual status update.


progress[current_, total_] :=
Column[{StringRiffle[ToString /@ {current, total}, " of "],
ProgressIndicator[current, {0, total}]},
Alignment -> Center]


I use a status Association to hold the status updates as it makes the code more readable than using a list as with other solutions. The loadBigFile function has to change slightly.


loadBigFile[t_Integer?Positive, steps_Integer?Positive] :=
Module[{stepProgress = 0},
status[[Key[$KernelID]]] = <|
"File" -> "File " <> ToString@RandomInteger[100],
"Monitor" -> progress[stepProgress, steps]
|>;
While[stepProgress < steps,
(* Read batch and load to db *)

Pause[t];
stepProgress += 1;

(* Update status *)
status[[Key[$KernelID], "Monitor"]] = progress[stepProgress, steps];
];

status[[Key[$KernelID], "File"]] = status[[Key[$KernelID], "File"]] <> " done.";
stepProgress
]


The Keys of the Association are the $KernelID and each has a "File" and "Monitor" key. loadBigFile updates these as it progresses.


k = LaunchKernels[2];

status = Association @@
ParallelTable[$KernelID -> <|"File" -> "", "Monitor" -> ""|>, {i, $KernelCount}]
(* <|43 -> <|"File" -> "", "Monitor" -> ""|>, 42 -> <|"File" -> "", "Monitor" -> ""|>|> *)

Distribute the definitions and variables


DistributeDefinitions[progress, loadBigFile];

SetSharedVariable[status];

ParallelSubmit the jobs.


{f1, f2} = {ParallelSubmit[loadBigFile[1, 5]], ParallelSubmit[loadBigFile[1, 9]]}

enter image description here


PrintTemporary with Dynamic is used instead of Monitor. This accesses the status association to display.


PrintTemporary[
Dynamic[Row[
Riffle[Column[#, Alignment -> Center] & /@

Query[Values, Values]@Select[#"Monitor" =!= "" &]@status, Spacer[5]]]]];
WaitAll[{f1, f2}]

enter image description here


Both have status displayed and updated concurrently.


Clean up.


UnsetShared[progress, loadBigFile, status];
CloseKernels[k];

Hope this helps.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...