Skip to main content

finite element method - Interface points of NDEigensystem


When solving an eigenvalue problem with "NDEigensystem", e.g. a 1D Eigenvalue problem with the interval composed of different materials, which should be solved by the pure numerical method such as FEM, is it necessary to assign the locations of the interface points? In fact, for FEM we know that the interface points should be the element boundary nodes. For example, the code assigning the interface positions is


(*This seems to be incorrect.*)    
Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"]

a1 = 0.1; a2 = 0.2; a3 = 0.3; a4 = 0.4; b = 0.7; sigma0 = 37*10^6;
omega = 2*10^3*Pi; mu0 = 4*10^-7*Pi;
sigma = If[a1 <= r <= a2 || a3 <= r <= a4, sigma0, 0];
bm = ToBoundaryMesh[
"Coordinates" -> {{0}, {a1}, {a2}, {a3}, {a4}, {b}},
"BoundaryElements" -> {PointElement[{{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}, {6}}]}];
bm["Wireframe"]
rm = ToElementMesh[bm, "MeshOrder" -> 2, MaxCellMeasure -> 0.0001];
L = psi''[r] + psi'[r]/r - (1/r^2 + I*omega*sigma*mu0)*psi[r];
B = DirichletCondition[psi[r] == 0, True];

{vals, funs} = NDEigensystem[{L,B}, psi[r], {r} \[Element] rm, 10];
lambda = b*Sqrt[-vals];
Sort[lambda, Re@#1 < Re@#2 &] // Chop

The result is


{7.41524625842434, 14.704889375535174, 22.0208051310379, 22.126560466486964, 26.8219477734735, 29.343851509902485, 36.669818648850374, 43.99726563353401, 44.051491607409865, 49.10916810233282}.


I think this is a wrong result, since the eigenvalues should be complex numbers. Another code coping with the same problem is


(*This seems to be resonable.*)
a1 = 0.1; a2 = 0.2; a3 = 0.3; a4 = 0.4; b = 0.7; sigma0 =37*10^6;
omega = 2*10^3*Pi; mu0 = 4*10^-7*Pi;

sigma = If[a1 <= r <= a2 || a3 <= r <= a4, sigma0, 0];
L = psi''[r] + psi'[r]/r - (1/r^2 + I*omega*sigma*mu0)*psi[r];
B = DirichletCondition[psi[r] == 0, True];
{vals, funs} = NDEigensystem[{L,B}, psi[r], {r, 0, b}, 10, Method ->
{"PDEDiscretization"-> {"FiniteElement", "MeshOptions"->
{"MaxCellMeasure"-> 0.0001,"MeshOrder"-> 2}}}];
lambda = b*Sqrt[-vals];
Sort[lambda, Re@#1 < Re@#2 &] // Chop

This code gives the reasonable result in my opinion:



{7.383877183370188 + 0.031093165122796473 I, 
14.641300240427059 + 0.0630628542925003 I,
21.5557952622858 + 0.5427490911070447 I,
21.92517611601835 + 0.09489510794076031 I,
26.471413185406863 + 0.34211325835858836 I,
29.216261799663346 + 0.1267126418808621 I,
36.510328314631025 + 0.15855627905576822 I,
42.90614817349877 + 1.09274892501598 I,
43.80593433114688 + 0.19044807206663805 I,
48.46846289924706 + 0.6276371418796622 I}


If this is correct, that should imply the method "PDEDiscretization" can handle the interface automatically. So could anybody give some comments?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...