Skip to main content

front end - Forcing Mathematica to recognize a symbol without defining it


In the Mathematica front-end, symbols that have been defined are colored black and symbols with no definition associated are colored blue. This is useful to prevent spelling mistakes. Also, defined symbols appear in the autocomplete (as of Mathematica v9.0).


I have a symbol chrom with no definitions associated, but I want Mathematica to recognize it. That is, I want that when I type chrom in the front end, it appears colored black, and I want it to appear in the autocomplete.


I can't associate a definition with chrom (as in chrom = ... or chrom[..] = .., because then if chrom appears in the evaluation of an expression, it will be replaced by the associated defined value. This is not the behavior I want.


In other words, is there a Mathematica function that does the opposite of Remove? Remove removes a symbol from the symbol table. How can I add a symbol to the symbol table without associating a definition with it?



Answer



Update


In a comment MB1965 proposed an undocumented but apparently canonical function to do this in recent versions. It is DeclareKnownSymbols. It takes a String or list of Strings, e.g.:


DeclareKnownSymbols[{"var", "res"}]


After this var and res are colored as known Symbols.




As far as I know the syntax highlighting for defined Symbols depends on one of the Symbol's *Values lists being non-empty. As suggested in the comments one way, and perhaps the best, is to simply assign the Symbol to itself:


symbol = symbol

OwnValues[symbol]


{HoldPattern[symbol] :> symbol}


Other rules existing in one of the *Values lists also work, even invalid ones:


Remove[symbol]

OwnValues[symbol] = {1 -> 1};

This rule will be replaced as soon as symbol is assigned:


symbol = None;

OwnValues[symbol]



{HoldPattern[symbol] :> None}

Another approach is to define a context coloring for your Symbols, and specifically create all of them in that context. First define the coloring Option and add the context to the $ContextPath:


SetOptions[$FrontEndSession, 
AutoStyleOptions -> {"SymbolContextStyles" -> {"highlight`" -> Green}}]

AppendTo[$ContextPath, "highlight`"];


Then simply list your fully-qualified Symbols to create them:


{highlight`symbol1, highlight`symbol2, highlight`symbol3};

At this point the plain Symbol names will be highlighted as specified:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...