Skip to main content

numerical integration - Multidimensional NIntegral with singularity


I am dealing with an integral


$F(k)=-\int d^2p d^2q\frac1{\lvert p\rvert}\frac1{\lvert p-q\rvert}(\frac1{\lvert k-q\rvert}-\frac1{\lvert q\rvert})$


when I am evaluating it at some point, say k=30



NIntegrate[-p q/p/Sqrt[p^2 + q^2 - 2 p q Cos[\[Phi]p - \[Phi]q]](1/
Sqrt[30^2 + q^2 - 60 q Cos[\[Phi]q]]-1/q), {p, 0, 50}, {q, 0,
50}, {\[Phi]p, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {\[Phi]q, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

MMA gives 1397.63 with warning


NIntegrate::slwcon: Numerical integration converging too slowly; suspect one 
of the following: singularity, value of the integration is 0, highly
oscillatory integrand, or WorkingPrecision too small.

NIntegrate::eincr: The global error of the strategy GlobalAdaptive has

increased more than 2000 times. The global error is expected to decrease
monotonically after a number of integrand evaluations. Suspect one of the
following: the working precision is insufficient for the specified precision
goal; the integrand is highly oscillatory or it is not a (piecewise) smooth
function; or the true value of the integral is 0. Increasing the value of the
GlobalAdaptive option MaxErrorIncreases might lead to a convergent numerical
integration. NIntegrate obtained -3120.06+0.187845 I and 1266.8675450228204`
for the integral and error estimates.

The integtal has singularity but should be converget. I tried to increase Maxrecursion Minrecursion or Working precision does not help.



Besides, if I split the integral in to 2 parts from bracket of the formula and integrate separately


NIntegrate[-p q/p/Sqrt[p^2 + q^2 - 2 p q Cos[\[Phi]p - \[Phi]q]]/
Sqrt[30^2 + q^2 - 60 q Cos[\[Phi]q]], {p, 0, 50}, {q, 0,
50}, {\[Phi]p, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {\[Phi]q, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

answer is -3120.06 + 0.187845 I


NIntegrate[-p q/p/Sqrt[p^2 + q^2 - 2 p q Cos[\[Phi]p - \[Phi]q]]/
q, {p, 0, 50}, {q, 0, 50}, {\[Phi]p, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {\[Phi]q, 0,
2 \[Pi]}]


answer is -4638.95 + 1.66533*10^-16 I


with imaginary parts


I saw some other post with similar question, some answer suggest using


    Method -> "MonteCarlo", PrecisionGoal -> 1

It does work for me, gives result 1220.21 with no warning I don't know how much can I trust this result Because the answer changes slightly together with warning when I increase Precisiongoal


NIntegrate::maxp: The integral failed to converge after 50100 integrand 
evaluations. NIntegrate obtained -3233.79 and 35.28825355386109` for the
integral and error estimates.


I need trustful answer for other part of the program, any suggestions?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...