Skip to main content

numerics - How does Plus work on machine precision Real arguments?



I thought Kahan's summation method would make a nice example for students to use to think about round-off error [W. Kahan, Pracniques: Further Remarks on Reducing Truncation Errors, Commun. ACM 8  (1965), 40]. The method is available (I surmise) through the option Method -> "CompensatedSummation" of Total, but it's an easy program to write that is nicely laid out in the half-page article.


Below the vector x0 is a list whose elements are to be added. Note that s0 is the "exact" sum, that is, the sum of the exact numbers represented by the floating-point numbers in x0, rounded to machine precision. I consider it the target of the summation methods below.


SeedRandom[2];
x0 = 2 + RandomReal[1, 1000000];
s0 = N@Total[SetPrecision[x0, Infinity]];

Here is a norm (with sign) that measures the relative error in x - x0 in units of $MachineEpsilon.


meps[x_, x0_, eps_: $MachineEpsilon] := ((x - x0)/x0)/eps;

Then here are some ways to add up the vector. The timings are not particularly important, but they're somewhat interesting. I unpack x0 before apply Plus, since it would be unpacked anyway by Apply (@@), in order that the unpacking not be included in the timing; the sum is the same we would get with Plus @@ x0.



{With[{x0 = Developer`FromPackedArray[x0]}, 
sP = Plus @@ x0; // AbsoluteTiming],
sF = Fold[Plus, x0]; // AbsoluteTiming,
sT = Total[x0]; // AbsoluteTiming,
sC = Total[x0, Method -> "CompensatedSummation"]; // AbsoluteTiming
}[[All, 1]]
(* {0.131215, 0.120635, 0.000571, 0.01399} *)

The example was chosen to show that Plus does something nearly like compensated summation but not exactly the same.


meps[{sP, sF, sT, sC}, s0]

(* Plus Fold Total Compensated Version
{-0.838972, 149.337, -56.2111, 0.} 10.4.1
{-0.838972, 149.337, -2.51692, 0.} 11.1.1 *)

Aside from being surprised that Plus is such a slow method, I got to wondering what Plus is doing. With some effort, one can find that the order of the elements in x0 can affect the result of Plus. The only results I can find have errors of either 1 or 0 in the last bit. They are compared to the results of iterative adding using Fold.


meps[{Plus @@ Sort@x0, Fold[Plus, Sort@x0]}, s0]
(* {-0.838972, -33.5589} *)

meps[{Plus @@ -Sort[-x0], Fold[Plus, -Sort[-x0]]}, s0]
(* {-0.838972, 182.057} *)


SeedRandom[0];
With[{x0 = RandomSample[x0]}, meps[{Plus @@ x0, Fold[Plus, x0]}, s0]]
(* {0., -158.566} *)

SeedRandom[1];
With[{x0 = RandomSample[x0]}, meps[{Plus @@ x0, Fold[Plus, x0]}, s0]]
(* {-0.838972, -93.9648} *)

Does anyone know how Plus works? It would be nice to be able to explain it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...