Skip to main content

summation - Sum over multiple indices


I would like to be able to enter the following left hand side of an identity. I can write the right hand side (i think) but am not sure about the left. The Left hand side is



$$\sum_{i_1+i_2+...+i_n=k}\binom{k}{i_1,i_2,...,i_n}\frac{f(i_1)f(i_2)...f(i_n)}{k!}$$


where is a function that extracts coefficients from a previously defined generating function. How do you implement this summation with a sum of multiple indicies equal to a particular $k$?




My particular $\,f$ are called Hypergeometric Bernoulli Numbers. The code I have to generate the numbers is below:


 T[m_, x_] = Sum[x^j/j!, {j, 0, m}];
g[m_, x_] = x^m/(m! (E^x - T[m - 1, x]));

The hypergeometric bernoulli numbers are extracted using the following


 b[m_, n_, M_] := b[m, n, M] = Coefficient[n! Normal[Series[g[m, x], {x, 0, M}]], x, n];


Now I want to sum over the $n$ term defined in the bernoulli number, so I basically want the $\,f$ I wrote in the formula to be replaced by b[m,i[j],M].



Answer



I'm not entirely sure what Eleven-eleven is asking, but I think I can write a function that gives his type-set expression (requiring two input variables n and k).


The first step is to do the math problem. How do you write the sum in a computer-friendly way? Like this: $$\sum_{i_1+i_2+\ldots +i_n = k} = \sum_{i_1=0}^k \sum_{i_2=0}^{k-i_1} \cdots\sum_{i_{n-1}=0}^{k-i_1-i_2\ldots-i_{n-2}}\,,$$ and $i_n = k - i_1 - i_2 -\ldots i_{n-1}$ is fixed.


Now proceed with the sum.


elevenEleven[n_, k_, m_, M_] := 
Module[{i},
With[{sumIt =
Sequence @@ Table[{i[a], 0, k - Sum[i[b], {b, 1, a - 1}]}, {a, 1, n - 1}]},
i[n] = k - Sum[i[e], {e, 1, n - 1}];

Sum[Multinomial @@ Table[i[c], {c, 1, n}] * Product[b[m,i[d],M], {d, 1, n}]/k!,
sumIt]
]
]

Here sumItwill basically generate the iterators for the multi-dimensional Sum in the main body. The statement i[n] = k - Sum[i[e], {e, 1, n - 1}] appearing in the main body enforces $i_n = k - i_1 - i_2 -\ldots i_{n-1}$.


Let's test it for $n=4$, $k=2$, $m=4$ and $M=5$:


elevenEleven[3, 2, 4, 5]



7/50



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...