Skip to main content

plotting - Checkerboard background on plot (potentially using prolog)?


Currently I have a plot of a complicated function with gridlines turned on. Is there a way to shade a checkerboard pattern of alternating colors between adjacent grid cells?


So far, I have tried passing a table of rectangles into Prolog. However, I couldn't figure out how to pass in the max/min dimensions of the plot. Moreover, this approach is ugly and cumbersome, especially if I later want to modify the location of the gridlines.


Even better, I would like to shade a custom repeating pattern, specifically the following one:


0 | 0
-----
1 | 0

where 1 denotes {Pink, Opacity[0.1]} and 0 denotes a white background.



Answer




You could make a checkerboard with Mesh funtionality in ParametricPlot:


mesh =
ParametricPlot[{v, u}, {u, -2, 6}, {v, 0, 20},
MeshFunctions -> {#2 &, #1 &},
MeshShading -> {{RGBColor[1, 0.9, 0.9], White}, {White, White}},
Mesh -> {8, 20},
BoundaryStyle -> None
]

enter image description here



Then set it as a background with Prolog:


Plot[5 Sinc[x], {x, 0, 20},
PlotRange -> All,
PlotStyle -> {Red, Thick},
Prolog -> mesh[[1]]
]

enter image description here


This method is quite flexible as you have specific control over the MeshFunctions etc. For example with MeshFunctions -> {Log[Abs@#2] &, Sinc[#1] &} you get:


enter image description here





Automation


The method above as a function for ease of application.


Options[addCheckerboard] =
{MeshFunctions -> {#1 &, #2 &},
MeshShading -> {{RGBColor[1, 0.9, 0.9], White}, {White, White}},
BoundaryStyle -> None};

addCheckerboard[gr_Graphics, opts : OptionsPattern[ParametricPlot]] :=
{⌊#⌋, ⌈#2⌉} & @@@ PlotRange[gr] /. {{x_, X_}, {y_, Y_}} :>

Show[gr,
Prolog ->
ParametricPlot[{u, v}, {u, x, X}, {v, y, Y},
opts,
Mesh -> ({X - x, Y - y} - 1),
Evaluate @ Options @ addCheckerboard
][[1]]
]

You should now be able to apply this to any Graphics object as follows:



plot =
Plot[Evaluate[Table[n^2*BesselJ[n, x], {n, 4}]], {x, 0, 10},
AspectRatio -> Automatic];

addCheckerboard[plot]

enter image description here


(AspectRatio -> Automatic is included in the example but not necessary for functionality.)



  • You can change the fill color with MeshShading and the grid color with MeshStyle.


  • You can override the regular grid with different MeshFunctions as above.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...