Skip to main content

How to get 2D graphics into 3D without background?


Consider the following code:



g=Graphics[{EdgeForm[{Black, Thick}],
{Green,Opacity[0.5],Rectangle[{0,0.5},{1,1}]},
Red, Polygon[{{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {1/2, Sqrt[3]/2}}],
White, Disk[{1/2, 1/(2Sqrt[3])}, 1/(2Sqrt[3])]},
Background->None];
Graphics3D[{{Texture[g],
Polygon[{{0,0,0},{0,1,0},{1,1,0},{1,0,0}},
VertexTextureCoordinates->{{0,0},{1,0},{1,1},{0,1}}]},
{Texture[g],
Polygon[{{0,0,1},{0,1,1},{1,1,1},{1,0,1}},

VertexTextureCoordinates->{{0,0},{1,0},{1,1},{0,1}}]}},
Lighting->{{"Ambient", White}},
ViewPoint->{1,4,7}]

This gives the following graphics:


Mathematica graphics


As you can easily see, the part outside of the figures is opaque white, despite of the Background->None option. Also Background->RGBColor[1,1,1,0] didn't help, nor did passing the Graphics through Rasterize with the option Background->None


Here's roughly what I'd want to get (any inaccuracies are caused by my lacking GIMP-fu :-)):


What I would want it to look like


Looking for a solution I found this code but couldn't get it work for my case. Also, if I understand it correctly, it doesn't derive the transparency from the graphics but just replaces a certain colour with fully transparent, which wouldn't work with the semi-transparent green rectangle.



Combining the 2D graphics with another one using Show does respect Background->None and Opacity on the green rectangle, so it's not a problem with the graphics itself.


Therefore my question: Is it possible to embed 2D graphics into 3D while keeping the transparency of the 2D image, and if so, how?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...