Skip to main content

performance tuning - FinishDynamic[] does not wait for display to finish



Bug introduced in 10.4 or earlier and persists through V11.2



[CASE:3993499]





If your UI contains a couple of heavy/big elements, or one heavy and couple of slightly heavy, because delay accumulates and you can't capture rendering finished event.


Please run the code sample


enter image description here


With addition to the delay issue, the second progress indicator does not appear at all. It is because FinishDynamic[] does not seem to care about the rendering time.


So if the second procedure starts before rendering of the first is finished, it will miss the progress indicator trigger.



This example is artificial but will affect your gui if it is a little bit more complex/heavy.


Question


Is there something like FinishRendering[]? Or how to queue procedures which involve noticeable rendering?


I will wait for WRI confirmation but for me it is a because:



FinishDynamic[] does not return until all Dynamic objects are updated and displayed.


- ref/FinishDynamic





(*in case evertyhing works well or FE crash, please modify `n` value.*)


DynamicModule[
{ processing1=False,processing2=False}
, data=panel1=panel2={}
; n=5 10^4
; update1[]:=panel1=Graphics[Line@data,Frame->True]
; update2[]:=panel2=Graphics[Line@data,Frame->True]
; Grid[{{
Button["run me"
, processing1=True (* trigger the first progressindicator*)

; data=RandomReal[1,{n,2}]
; Pause[.1] (* artificial pause to mimic a time consumig `data` creation. allows to clearly see progress indicator*)
; update1[] (* create graphics *)
; processing1=False (* trigger the first graphics to appear *)

; FinishDynamic[] (* wait till everything is done *)

; processing2=True (* analogous procedure for the second plot, fails *)
; Pause[.1]
; update2[]

; processing2=False
, Method->"Queued"
, ImageSize->100 {1,1}
]
, Dynamic[
If[processing1, Dynamic@ProgressIndicator[Appearance->"Indeterminate"],panel1]
, TrackedSymbols:>{processing1}
]
, Dynamic[
If[processing2,Dynamic@ProgressIndicator[Appearance->"Indeterminate"],panel2]

, TrackedSymbols:>{processing2}
]
}}, BaseStyle->CacheGraphics->False
]
]


[CASE:3993499] was created




Answer




I'm still interested in workarounds / coding practices to deal with this issue.


Meanwhile, to take it off an unanswered stack, here is a confirmation from WRI Support:



[...] I do agree something is off here, [...] . I have filed a report with our developers asking that they identify the issue and look to address it.


If FinishDynamic is not meant to handle extra rendering time, I will file a suggestion that we create a FinishRendering function to handle cases like this. [...]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?