Skip to main content

front end - Using DynamicModule variables outside the DynamicModule


Take the following example for hiding/showing a notebook through a Checkbox:


x = True;
CreateDocument[{"hello"}, Visible -> Dynamic[x]];
Checkbox[Dynamic[x]]


It works correctly until the kernel is restarted, but not after.


The documentation explains that the variables in a DynamicModule are owned by the front end, not the kernel. So to make this piece of GUI resistant to kernel quits/crashes, I tried:


DynamicModule[
{x = True},
CreateDocument[{"hello"}, Visible -> Dynamic[x]];
Checkbox[Dynamic[x]]
]

This one does not work though. Can someone explain why, and whether there is to use this DynamicModule variable outside the DynamicModule? Is this behaviour somehow related to the DynamicModuleParent option?





Update: As Brett Champion has pointed out in the comments below, there's a similar example in the documentation in the DynamicModule Wormholes section. This shows how to make it possible to access a particular DynamicModule's variable from another DynamicModule using the InheritScope -> True setting. However, my example I don't have a second DynamicModule in the newly created notebook, only a single Dynamic, so I am not sure how to connect the variables.



Answer



What you want to do (make this piece of GUI resistant to kernel quits) can be achieved simply like this:


DynamicModule[
{x = True, tag = Unique[StringJoin["g", ToString[
$SessionID]]]}, CreateDocument[{"hello"},
TaggingRules -> tag, Visible -> True];
Checkbox[Dynamic[x,
(x = #1; TrueQ[Select[Notebooks[],

CurrentValue[#1, TaggingRules] === tag & ] /.
{b_NotebookObject} :> (CurrentValue[b,
Visible] = ! CurrentValue[b,
Visible])]) & ]]]

The "wormhole" is a unique identitfier attached to TaggingRules.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...