Skip to main content

list manipulation - How can I collect data for visualization of quick sort?


I know how to implement quick sort in Mathematica. But I don't know how to get the temp data for visualization, because I used recursion. I want the effect similar to this:


enter image description here


qsort[{}] = {};
qsort[{x_, xs___}] := Join[qsort@Select[{xs}, # <= x &], {x}, qsort@Select[{xs}, # > x &]];
qsort@RandomSample@Range@30


Answer



n = 100; (*number of points*)
s = RandomSample@Range@n; (*the initial set*)
(*some aux functions*)
head[{x_, xs___}] := Select[{xs}, # <= x &];
tail[{x_, xs___}] := Select[{xs}, # > x &];

(*qsort function modified for sowing the information needed*)
qsort[{}] = {};
qsort[l : {x_, ___}] := Module[{lh, lt}, (Sow@{l, lh = head@l, x, lt = tail@l};

Join[qsort@lh, {x}, qsort@lt])];

(*Perform the sort and extract the transformation rules for each step*)
t0 = (Reap@qsort@s) [[2, 1]] /. {l_, h_, x_, t_} :> Thread[l -> Flatten@{h, x, t}];
(*Delete unproductive transformations for speeding up the animation*)
t0 = t0 //. HoldPattern[x_ -> x_] | {} -> Sequence[];
(*Apply the transformations and get the list of succesive states*)
seqs = FoldList[#1 /. #2 &, s, t0];

(*Calculate the elements' paths to highlight them at each step*)

hL = ArrayPad[Unitize@Differences@seqs Rest@seqs, {{0, 1}, {0, 0}}] /. 0 -> Undefined;

(*Plot it*)
pstyle = PlotStyle -> Directive[Red, PointSize@Medium];
ListAnimate[ j = Show[ListPlot[#[[1]], ImageSize -> 500],
ListPlot[#[[2]], pstyle]] & /@ Transpose[{seqs, hL}]]

Export["c://test.gif", j, "DisplayDurations" -> 1]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...