Skip to main content

plotting - Using a complicated function as color function


I have an ellipsoid with parametric equations


lst = {10*Cos[u]*Sin[v], 3*Sin[u]*Sin[v], 2*Cos[v]}; 

I define a function


dam = Sqrt[(1296*Cos[u]^4*
Sin[v]^4)/(900*Cos[v]^2 + 36*Cos[u]^2*Sin[v]^2 +

400*Sin[u]^2*Sin[v]^2)^2 +
(3600*Cos[u]^2*
Sin[v]^2*(9*Cos[v]^2 + 4*Sin[u]^2*Sin[v]^2))/(900*Cos[v]^2 +
4*(9*Cos[u]^2 + 100*Sin[u]^2)*Sin[v]^2)^2];

and a color function as


colFun = Function[{u, v}, Hue[Rescale[dam, {0, 1}]]]; 

My ultimate goal is coloring the ellipsoid according to the values of


Rescale[dam, {0, 1}]


So, my question is why there is a big mismatch in the color rendering in the following plots


h = ParametricPlot3D[lst, {u, 0, 2*Pi}, {v, 0, Pi}, Mesh -> False, 
ColorFunction -> colFun, ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
ImageSize -> 800];
g = Plot3D[Rescale[dam, {0, 1}], {u, 0, 2*Pi}, {v, 0, Pi},
Mesh -> False, ColorFunction -> colFun,
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, PlotRange -> All];
Row[{Show[h], Show[g, ImageSize -> 400]}]


From g we see that the edges of the ellipsoid should be colored with purple color since for the respective angles {u, v}, dam takes the highest values.



Answer



Does the following:


h = ParametricPlot3D[lst, {u, 0, 2*Pi}, {v, 0, Pi}, Mesh -> False, 
ColorFunction -> (Function[{x, y, z, u, v}, Hue[Rescale[dam, {0, 1}]]]),
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, ImageSize -> 800];
g = Plot3D[Rescale[dam, {0, 1}], {u, 0, 2*Pi}, {v, 0, Pi}, Mesh -> False,
ColorFunction -> (Function[{u, v, z}, Hue[Rescale[dam, {0, 1}]]]),
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, PlotRange -> All];
Row[{h, Show[g, ImageSize -> 400]}]


enter image description here


give what you need?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...