Skip to main content

plotting - How to plot a figure like this


I saw a beautiful figure illustrating the optical lattice clock, and would like to make a similar one.


This is the figure (taken from here)


enter image description here



Is it possible to make a similar one using Mathematica?


Here is my try:


Show[
Plot3D[0.05 (Cos[3 x] Cos[
3 y])^4, {x, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}, {y, -\[Pi], \[Pi]},
PlotRange -> {All, All, {-0.1, 0.1}}, PlotPoints -> 200, Mesh -> 60,
MeshStyle -> Gray,
ColorFunction -> (ColorData["GreenPinkTones"][0.5 #3 + 0.5] &)],
Graphics3D[{Darker[Green],
Scale[Sphere[{0, 0, -0.5}],

0.25 {\[Pi]/3, \[Pi]/3, .1}, {0, 0, 0}]}, Lighting -> "Neutral"],
ImageSize -> {651.1743427005708`, 484.8`}, Lighting -> "Neutral",
Method -> {"RotationControl" -> "Globe",
"RotationControl" -> "Globe"},
PlotRange -> {All, All, {-0.1`, 0.1`}},
PlotRangePadding -> {Automatic, Automatic, Automatic},
ViewAngle -> 0.13079882249358044`,
ViewCenter -> {{0.5`, 0.5`, 0.5`}, {0.5218420229698426`,
0.6543497570242808`}},
ViewPoint -> {-2.144844931539977`,

1.84186142553857`, -1.8593511526229505`},
ViewVertical -> {0.`, 0.`, -1.`}]

enter image description here



Answer



My pc is rather old so there was not much I could do. Maybe no as pretty as in the link but I'm happy because of the result:


r = 35;
p = Show[
Plot3D[-Sum[2 Exp[-((x - xo)^2 + (y - yo)^2)], {xo, -24, 8, 4}, {yo, -28, 8, 4}],
{x, -r, r - 4}, {y, -r, r - 4}, Evaluated -> True,

PlotRange -> All, PlotPoints -> 200, Mesh -> 300, ImageSize -> 800,
ColorFunction -> (Blend[{White, White, White, Purple}, -#3] &),
ColorFunctionScaling -> False, MeshStyle -> Directive[Thick, GrayLevel@.4]
],
Graphics3D[{Specularity[White, 15], Green, Sphere[{{-4, -4, .2}, {4, 4, .2},
{0, 8, .2}}, 1]}
],
BoxRatios -> Automatic, Boxed -> False, Axes -> False, Lighting -> "Neutral",
ViewVector -> {{10, 20, 11}, {0, 0, 0}}, ViewAngle -> .5];


p = ImageResize[Rasterize[p, "Image", ImageResolution -> 3 72], Scaled[1/3]]

manual blurring :)


Table[ImageTake[p, {799 - i, 800 - i}, All] ~ Blur ~ (i/100),
{i, 0, 798,2}] // Reverse // Transpose[{#}] & // ImageAssemble

enter image description here


I decided to not play with shadows because there is no easy way and my pc nearly died :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...