Skip to main content

differential equations - heat balance solution in two adjacent layers with continuous flux over boundary


I am trying to solve the heat equation for a system made of a cylinder (hot) that is suddenly immersed in a cooling medium (cold). I am doing this using a 1D approximation with single differential equation (in cylindrical coordinates) and physical properties that vary in space. The code is:


diamcyl = 0.800;
T1 = 140;
T2 = -20;


k2 = 0.58; (* W/mK *)
rho2 = 1000; (* kg/m3 *)
Cp2 = 4200; (* J/KgK *)

k1 = 0.128; (*W/(mK)*)
rho1 = 800; (* kg/m3 *)
Cp1 = 1670; (*J/(KgK)*)

(*properties as a function of space*)

rho[x_] := (rho1 + (rho2 - rho1)* UnitStep[x - diamcyl/2]);
k[x_] := 10^6*(k1 + (k2 - k1)* UnitStep[x - diamcyl/2]);
Cp[x_] := (Cp1 + (Cp2 - Cp1)* UnitStep[x - diamcyl/2]);

heateq = 1/x*D[x*k[x]*D[u[x, t], x], x] == rho[x]*Cp[x]*D[u[x, t], t];

u0[x_] := (T1 + (T2 - T1)*UnitStep[x - diamcyl/2]);
solm20 = First[
NDSolve[{heateq, u[x, 0] == u0[x],
u[10, t] == T2, (D[u[x, t], x] /. x -> 0.001) == 0},

u, {x, 0.001, 2}, {t, 0, 5},
Method -> {"MethodOfLines",
"SpatialDiscretization" -> {"TensorProductGrid",
"MaxPoints" -> 1000}}]];

The solution transient temperature profile that I obtain looks smooth and is continuous over the boundary of the cylinder. However, the heat flux exhibits a discontinuity over this boundary.


Show[Table[
Plot[u[x, t] /. solm20, {x, 0.001, 2},
PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {T2, T1}}, PlotRangePadding -> {None, 10},
Prolog -> {LightGray, Rectangle[{0, -100}, {diamcyl/2, 200}]},

GridLines -> {{diamcyl/2}, {T2}},
FrameLabel -> {"distance [mm]", "temperature [\[Degree]C]"}], {t,
0, 2, 0.05}],

Plot[u0[x], {x, 0.01, 2}, PlotRange -> All, Exclusions -> None,
PlotStyle -> Red]]

Show[Table[
Plot[Evaluate[k[x]*D[u[x, t], x] /. solm20], {x, 0.01, 2},
PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, All}, PlotRangePadding -> {None, 10},

GridLines -> {{diamcyl/2}, {T2}},
FrameLabel -> {"distance [mm]", "temperature [\[Degree]C]"}], {t,
0.01, 2, 0.05}]]

How to obtain a solution with continuous heat flux? Or, I could also ask it in this way: how to impose a Neumann condition over the boundary of the cylinder?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...