Skip to main content

How can I remove matching sublists from my list?


I want to use DeleteCases (or any appropriate function) to remove elements of a list, which in turn are lists of fixed size. The rule I wish to apply is that any element of the list which already appear elsewhere in the list, up to any number of -1 is to be removed. But I don't know how to do this kind of tricky pattern matching. For example, I have the following list:


myData = {{h -> 255.155, c -> 0, s -> -10000.},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 0, s -> 10000.},

{h -> 0, c -> 0, s -> 10000.},
{h -> 0, c -> 0, s -> -10000.},
{h -> 255.155, c -> 0, s -> 10000.},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 0, s -> -10000.},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 1870.83, s -> 3535.53},
{h -> 255.155, c -> -1870.83, s -> -3535.53},
{h -> 0, c -> 1870.83, s -> 3535.53},
{h -> 0, c -> -1870.83, s -> -3535.53},
{h -> 255.155, c -> 1870.83, s -> 3535.53},
{h -> -255.155, c -> -1870.83, s -> -3535.53},

{h -> 255.155, c -> -4000., s -> 0},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 4000., s -> 0},
{h -> 0, c -> 4000., s -> 0},
{h -> 0, c -> -4000., s -> 0},
{h -> 255.155, c -> 4000., s -> 0},
{h -> -255.155, c -> -4000., s -> 0},
{h -> 255.155, c -> 1870.83, s -> -3535.53},
{h -> -255.155, c -> -1870.83, s -> 3535.53},
{h -> 0, c -> 1870.83, s -> -3535.53},
{h -> 0, c -> -1870.83, s -> 3535.53},

{h -> 255.155, c -> -1870.83, s -> 3535.53},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 1870.83, s -> -3535.53},
{h -> 255.155, c -> 0, s -> 0},
{h -> -255.155, c -> 0, s -> 0},
{h -> 0, c -> 0, s -> 0}}

As can be seen the first element myData[[1]] (which is a list of three items) is a duplicate (up to the minus signs) myData[[2]] myData[[5]] myData[[6]]. But I don't know how to get Mathematica to remove these.


As an added bonus, it would be nice that, among the ones that are duplicates up to -1, the one with the least number of negatives is kept, and all others are removed. (In the example above, myData[[5]] would be among those that would be kept.)



Answer



The problem with both Union - based and DeleteDuplicates - based solutions is that both functions have quadratic complexity in the size of the list, for an explicit comparison function. Here is code which should be much faster for larger lists:



Reap[
Sow[#, Abs[{{h, c, s} /. #}]] & /@ myData,
_,
First@#2[[Ordering[UnitStep[-{h, c, s} /. #2]]]] &
][[2]]

(*
{{h->255.155,c->0,s->10000.},{h->0,c->0,s->10000.},
{h->255.155,c->1870.83,s->3535.53},{h->0,c->1870.83,s->3535.53},
{h->255.155,c->4000.,s->0},{h->0,c->4000.,s->0},

{h->255.155,c->0,s->0},{h->0,c->0,s->0}}
*)

It is based on tagging the list entries with some function of the entry that serves as an equivalence tag, and then postprocessing the resulting lists. It should have a near-linear complexity with respect to the length of the list.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...