Skip to main content

streams - LibraryLink: What can we do with MInputStream and MOutputStream?


Version 9 introduced the WolframStreamsLibrary.h header for LibraryLink. It contains MInputStream and MOutputStream.



What can I do with this header? How can I use these functions? Are the documented anywhere?




Possibly related:





Update 2018 March: Partial spelunking results, someone else may want to pick up the trail.


Currently, my best guess is that this is for extending Mathematica with new streams. I believe it to be the analogue of DefineInputStreamMethod and DefineOutputStreamMethod. The struct MInputStream contains most of the functions that would be passed to DefineInputStreamMethod. The actual analogue is registerInputStreamMethod in WolframLibray.h, which I believe sets the equivalents of the ConstructorFunction and NameTestFunction. My (unverified!) guesses for the parameters of registerInputStreamMethod are:



  • const char *name, same as name in DefineInputStreamMethod

  • void (*ctor)(MInputStream, const char* msgHead, void* optionsIn), same as "ConstructorFunction". Should fill out the MInputStream struct passed to it. But in what format does it receive the options?


  • mbool (*handlerTest)(void*, char*), probably the same as "NameTestFunction". But what is the void * parameter for? The methodData?

  • void* methodData, possibly pointer to private data used by the stream implementation.

  • void (*destroyMethod)(void* methodData), possibly for freeing the methodData? This is not the "CloseFunction".


There are still many key questions remaining before one could actually implement everything that is needed.


What is the methodData? A state unique to each instance of the stream, or shared by all of them? (I assume this is shared, and the individual state is in the MInputStream struct.) What exactly should each of these functions do?


An example implementation is woefully needed. After some more spelunking, I found one in SystemFiles/Links/SocketLink/Source/C. This example may provide enough information for us to write our own implementation, but I have not yet had the time/motivation to do all this. I still wanted to share my findings with others who may be interested in continuing the spelunking.


Note that the SocketLink example won't answer all questions: it often passes NULL pointers or simply ignores arguments (e.g the options in the constructor).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...