Skip to main content

How to convert expression to String, but keep it looking similar to input form?


I have lots of differential equations, that I save to file (along with output and other things), as "strings", to process later in Latex and make a document of them.


I save each input differential equation, by first converting it from expression to String, then write it to the file (using WriteString command).


The problem is that when converting say eq = y'[x] == 1/y[x] to String, using ToString it becomes


Mathematica graphics


Which ofcource does not work, when saved to file, since it messes up the lines in the text file. So I use InputForm like this ToString[eq,InputForm] and now it works, the string is flat and on one line:


Mathematica graphics



The above is a string, and I can use that with no problem.


What I like however is to have the string look like the original expression, since it is easier to read (these will later show as verbatim in Latex), i.e. I need to convert expression to


   y'[x] == 1/y[x] 

to same as above, but as string


   "y'[x] == 1/y[x]"

I do not use 2D math at all in my input. All my original Mathematica expressions are flat, read from plain text file, read them, and process them, then need to save them back as strings with other things for post-processing.


But I'd like to keep the same looking expression used, but as string.


Question: How to to convert y'[x] == 1/y[x] to string "y'[x] == 1/y[x]" ?



For example of one Latex output, here is a link to help explain what I mean.


Mathematica 11.0.1.


Update:


To answer comments, I have the ODE's in a list. Then I use a loop to process them. Here is a MWE, a very simplified version. The process is completely non-interactive.


SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]];
lst = {{y'[x] == a*f[x]}, {y'[x] == x + Sin[x] + y[x]}, {y'[x] ==
x^2 + 3*Cosh[x] + 2*y[x]}};
fileName = "result.txt";
file = OpenWrite[fileName, PageWidth -> Infinity];
Do[

s = ToString[First@lst[[n]], InputForm];
WriteString[file, s];
WriteString[file, "\n"]
, {n, 1, Length@lst}
];
Close[file]

The text file where these are saved to now looks like


Mathematica graphics



Answer




My approach for this sort of thing is to define conditioned Format rules for the problematic symbols, and then to Block the condition true when using ToString. In addition, I like to use SequenceForm as a substitute for HoldForm. In your example, I would do:


Format[Derivative[n_?Positive][f_], InputForm] /; $Nasser :=
SequenceForm[f, OutputForm@StringJoin[ConstantArray["'", n]]]

Then, I would define a special tostring function:


SetAttributes[tostring, HoldFirst]
tostring[expr_] := Internal`InheritedBlock[{$Nasser = True, SequenceForm},
SetAttributes[SequenceForm, HoldFirst];
ToString[SequenceForm[expr], InputForm]
]


A couple examples:


tostring[y'[x] == a/y[x]] // InputForm
(* "y'[x] == a/y[x]" *)

tostring[x''[t] + c0 x'[t]^2 + c1 x[t]] // InputForm
(* "x''[t] + c0*x'[t]^2 + c1*x[t]" *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?