Skip to main content

list manipulation - Threading behavior of SameQ vs Equals


I ran into a bug in my code today based on an errant assumption. Namely, I thought that:


Thread[Equal[{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}]]
Thread[SameQ[{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}]]

Would



{aa == dd, bb == ee, cc == ff}
{False,False,False}

Respectively (variables are undefined). What I get instead is


{aa == dd, bb == ee, cc == ff}
False

Which I can argue makes sense, since the lists aren't equivalent. But why doesn't Thread work? What's the precedence argument here? How can I get the answer I want ({False,False,False}) from a similar construct?



Answer



Thread doesn't hold its arguments. You can check its attributes.



So, before doing any threading, it evaluates its arguments.


Now, understanding the behaviour you describe requires understanding the difference between Equal and SameQ. Equal is meant for math reasoning. For expressing an equality, which might involve a variable that at the time you don't yet know it's value. So, for example, x==8 returns unevaluated if x isn't defined.


SameQ however is a predicate. It will always return either True or False if the constructs are exactly the same (after evaluation).


So, Thread[SameQ[{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}]] -> Thread[False]-> False


One can see this by running (thanks @rcollyer)


Trace[Thread[SameQ[{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}]], 
TraceInternal -> True]

Out[1] = {{{aa, bb, cc} === {dd, ee, ff}, False}, Thread[False], False}


If you want to thread SameQ without evaluation, just use Unevaluated


Thread[Unevaluated@SameQ[{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}]]

{False, False, False}

Another construction that gives the result you want is the one suggested by @kguler in his comment and supported by @rcoller and his upvoters: MapThread. I'd suggest you search the docs if you don't know it


MapThread[SameQ, {{aa, bb, cc}, {dd, ee, ff}}]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?