Skip to main content

How to load FORTRAN libraries through Librarylink


First, the main reference is the thread Linking FORTRAN with Librarylink, which teaches how to make the link between a FORTRAN subroutine and a Mathematica code, by using Librarylink. This must done through a C code, from where the FORTRAN subroutine is called. The C code is, then, compiled via Mathematica.


I have studied the examples and tried them myself. My doubt is on how to load FORTRAN libraries, e.g. for using the FORTRAN command open within the subroutine. Whenever I try to call a subroutine that contains open, I read an error message on the screen. Read below my minimal example.



FORTRAN subroutine


The subroutine reads a,b,c and stores a+b+c into the variable sum. Additionally it open,reads and close file.dat.


    !fadd.f90
subroutine add(a,b,c,sum)
implicit none
integer a,b,c,sum
sum=a+b+c
open(1,file='file.dat')
read(1,*)
close(1)

return
end subroutine

file.dat only contains the number 1, for the minimal example. This value is not used anywhere, for simplification. My actual code would use dat files to make complicated computations.


Calling the subroutine from C


//MMA.cc
//Link directly to fortran object file
#include "WolframLibrary.h"

DLLEXPORT mint WolframLibrary_getVersion(){

return WolframLibraryVersion;}
DLLEXPORT int WolframLibrary_initialize(WolframLibraryData libData){
return 0;}

//declare fortran subroutine
extern "C" { void add_(mint* a, mint* b, mint* c, mint* sum);}

EXTERN_C DLLEXPORT int add(WolframLibraryData libData, mint Argc, MArgument *Args, MArgument Res){
mint I0 = MArgument_getInteger(Args[0]);
mint I1 = MArgument_getInteger(Args[1]);

mint I2 = MArgument_getInteger(Args[2]);
mint sum;
add_(&I0,&I1,&I2,&sum);//call fortran subroutine
MArgument_setInteger(Res,sum);
return LIBRARY_NO_ERROR;
}

Mathematica: create library and load library function


Needs["CCompilerDriver`"];
CreateLibrary[{"MMA.cc", "fadd.o"}, "myadd", "Debug" -> True, "TargetDirectory" -> "."]


funcadd = LibraryFunctionLoad["./myadd", "add", {Integer, Integer, Integer}, Integer]

Print[ funcadd[2,2,2] ]
Exit[]

ERROR (Running Mathematica 8 through Linux terminal)


(*   /optifi/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0.4/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/MathKernel: symbol lookup error: (...)/myadd.so: undefined symbol: _gfortran_st_open   *)

For compiling the FORTRAN code, I have run on LINUX terminal



gfortran -c -fPIC fadd.f90

where -fPIC has been added as requested by an error message telling recompile with -fPIC.



Answer



Mathematicas invocation of the compiler doesn't know about where to find the Fortran library. With a little help, however, we can point the way. Mind you this was done on a Mac but the Linux variant of Unix will behave similar.


Needs["CCompilerDriver`"];
CreateLibrary[{"MMA.cc", "fadd.o"}, "myadd",
"Debug" -> True,
"TargetDirectory" -> ".",
LibraryDirectories -> "/usr/local/Cellar/gfortran/4.8.1/gfortran/lib/",

Libraries -> "gfortran"]

You need to put the directory to your gcc installations lib directory into the LibraryDirectory option and Mathematica will find the library. This was not necessary in the original code you were starting from as the Fortran commands used in the source code were not library function and hence no linking against libgfortran was required.


Be aware that the truncated name of the library is used with the Libraries option. The librarys full name, in my case, is libgfortran.dylib which gets truncated to gfortran.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?